Please recommend a hike

steelfrog

I will be in you all's neck of the woods Sept 9-12. Have permits for MSH on the 10th, and am looking for a good hike anywhere in the Cascades for the 11th. Have all day. Just got done doing 10 days in the Sierras a week ago, and would like to hike something nice and uppy, with great views. Was thinking of something no more than say 12-14 miles, 4000 gain, and Class 3 or less--we don't want to fool with ropes. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go to the Mt. Hood area, start at Ramona Falls, and head all the way up to the Yocum Ridge Trail. Good mileage, elevation, awesome scenery, a variety of eco-systems, glacial views, water falls, creek crossings, some scrambling. There's the technical climb, but then there is also a scrambler's trail where you can just go as high as you want until you reach your comfort limit. That's my advice but I am interested in hearing what others suggest.

Edited by ARob

Good choice Arob. Another one is the Eagle creek trail off the freeway near Bonneville dam. Up to the waterfall underpass or 7 mile camp. Easy hiking, 14 mi round trip or turn around when ever, spectacular views.

http://web.oregon.com/hiking/eaglecreek.cfm

1EagleCreekPunchbowlFalls.jpg

I second Bill's hike but would suggest doing it on a weekday as it is a VERY popular trail, for good reason. Depending on the water level, there are some great high jumps into the punchbowls. I've been wanting to go do this one as an over-nighter, starting from the top and camping about mid-way down. I think there is a campground/sites there?

Cascade Pass- Sahale Arm. It's about 11 miles round-trip with between 4,000 and 5,000 feet of elevation gain. Also, it's in the most beautiful place in Washington, the North Cascades.

Nice one potentially too far. Not sure where you are flying into or located. If that's in your driving range, here's one more that's stunning, the Hoh (spelling) river in the Olympics.

OK--doing some research I came up with these potentially--please comment:

Hidden Lake Lookout

Goat Mountain

Ptarmigan Ridge Trail

Hannegan Peak

Little Annapurna

Alta Mountain

High Divide Trail on the Olympic Peninsula

Edited by steelfrog

Hidden Lake Lookout is in the same general neck of the woods as Sahale Arm. I would choose Sahale Arm first.

Ptarmigan Ridge and Hannegan Peak (maybe Goat Mountain, but I'm not exactly sure where that is) are way on the N side of Mt. Baker. If you are going up that way, I would probably choose to hike Skyline Divide or scramble Hadley Peak (accessible from Skyline Divide, but probalby more accessible via Cougar Divide) and just drive up to Artist Point, which is the start of the Ptarmigan Ridge trail. Or if you go up to Hannegan Pass, instead of going left to Hannegan Peak, go right to Ruth Mountain. A glacier, but generally pretty accessible without ropes.

Little Annapurna would be on the long side for a day trip given your distance and elevation desires, but is a nice hike into the upper enchantment basin.

All of the above would be long drives from Mt. St. Helens.

Alta Mountain is a nice hike and not as far a drive. but is not as spectacular as the others. Easily the closest to St. helens and Seattle.

The other suggestion I would make is Gothic Basin with possible scrambles of Del Campo and/or Gothic Peak. A closer drive than all but Alta Mountain.

Edited by NealH

Thanks a bunch. Have to say I am still leaning toward Cascade/Sahale, but want to explore options. I am learning the area a bit, too, which is exciting.

Any comment as to the expected weather Sept. 9-12, generally? Cascades are kind of known for erratic weather, I understand?

If you are considering Hannegan Peak you may want to go for Ruth peak instead as long as the glacier isn't open (its a small pretty tame glacier). It may be open already I don't know the conditions. You may need and ice axe or crampons depending on the conditions though. It has an awesome unobstructed view of Shuksan.

Otherwise put down another recommendation for Cascade Pass / Sahale Arm.

The Yocum Ridge Trail on Mt. Hood may be too long as you said 12-14 miles max. It is now 18-1/2 miles round trip since the Sandy River flooded and washed out the last section of the road to Romana falls several years ago.

If you find yourself short of time the quickest way to get high on the mountain is to hike up the Vista Ridge Trail and then scramble to the top of Barret Spur on Hood's north side, about 8-1/2 miles round trip from the trailhead and a spectacular hike overlooking Ladd and Coe glaciers.

Another short and spectacular hike is Cooper Spur which overlooks the Elliot Glacier on the NE side. If you have crampons and ice axe (a trekking pole will sub for an ice axe here if snow surface is not frozen) you can make this a longer hike by crossing the moraine at the bottom of the Elliot and climbing the Snowdome snowfield to climber's right of the glacier which is mainly crevasse free until about 9,000 ft. At that elevation you have a spectacular view of the Sunshine route up Mt. Hood.

Edited by pcg

These are in the Enchantment Basin? Would I get these if I tried Little Annapurna?

Colchuck yes. You would probably hike to Colchuck Lake, then head up Aasgard Pass to the Upper Enchantment Basin and Little Annapurna is a walk-up from there.

Ingalls no. It is on the other side of the Stuart Range.

Thanks for all the beta--this is very helpful.

At the risk of uttering blasphemy, let me ask you this: Would these hikes be more rewarding--more scenic bang for the buck--than MSH? I realize MSH is iconic, etc., but the more I research, the more I like the idea of doing some other stuff.

For example, an overnight trip into the Enchantments (is this unrealistic because I can't get a permit?).

What say you?

Would these hikes be more rewarding--more scenic bang for the buck--than MSH?

Never done MSH. Of the above, Punch Bowl on the Eagle Creek trail and Barret Spur are most bang for the buck. Less than eight miles roundtrip gets you the view pictured from Barret Spur below. If you go to Punch Bowl (pictured in previous post)take a swimsuit. You can jump cliffs there from 15' to 90'. If you don't belive the 90' watch this - insane...

[video:youtube]

barretspur_086_-_small.jpg

Top of Barret Spur, late July 2010

Edited by pcg

At the risk of uttering blasphemy, let me ask you this: Would these hikes be more rewarding--more scenic bang for the buck--than MSH? I realize MSH is iconic, etc., but the more I research, the more I like the idea of doing some other stuff.

For example, an overnight trip into the Enchantments (is this unrealistic because I can't get a permit?).

You could win the lottery for permits @ the enchantments but that is a crap shoot. Yes it is amazing there but your best bet would to be go north.

Skip St Helens! Drive strait to the North Cascades. Best "bang for the buck".

Cascade pass/ sahale/ hidden lakes lookout/ yellow aster butte (day hike)/Thornton peak (day hike) Sourdough mountain to elephant butte/N twin sister (great C3 scramble)/Black peak!!!

too many to list, i could go on and on. You will not regret skipping out on the south. Go north and you will not regret it. The only regret you will have is not having MORE time!

Oh and another one could be...Tuck and robin lakes in the alpine lakes wilderness. Granite peak and trico are both access fro there. Or a two day climb of Mount Daniel in the alpine lakes region.

I could go on and on...I will stop typing now!

Good luck choosing and have fun!!!

You referred to MSH as "iconic" and it may seem so to the rest of the world who followed the eruption news, but as far as climbing and alpine grandeur, I'd rather be in the Monte Cristo Range (i.e. Gothic Basin, mentioned above), not to mention the sublime Cascade Pass or Enchantments.

FORGET MSH and spend your time in more rewarding places. You'll be glad. MSH is a mound of scree and dirt right now.