NEW CLIMBING AREA PDX

billcoe

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are a few pics on some of the climbs.

The Witch

07100013081.jpg

Side view of The Witch

0710001603a1.jpg

Looking at The Dragon Spine from The Grey Ghost route. Did that make it into the guide?

0710001603.jpg

Looking to climbers left from above Gratitude and Better Than Sex

0629001243.jpg

From the base of the first pitch of Trench Warfare.

0524001753.jpg

No offense, but is that "rock" actually rock? It looks pretty dubious.

:lmao: Yes, if we want to get on real rock, we have to go to Washington or California. LOL!

Adam and I were kicking steps in dirt to get up the base of the Steeple. Wish we'd had an ice axe. You guys are so blessed with all those long solid granite routes nearby and cracks that soar to the sky. This is a crackless but interesting conglomerate of ash/like welded tuff matrix with solid Andesite/basalt nodules in it. The water has eroded the ash, leaving these solid awesome knobs sticking out crazy every which where. It's off the hook fun and crazy climbing when the knobs stay put.

Side note: Ben Priestly, the awesome dude who found and turned me onto the spot: conveyed an idea to me. Nothing would please me more than if Ben's dream could be continued and fulfilled. I'll screw it up, maybe he can rephrase it, but it is something like this: this should be a place where bolts are not argued over. Where people don't run up, do a super-bold FA with the odd tied off knob and after proclaiming their climbing brilliance, say that no one can add any bolts to their awesome FA.

Now some of you in the current email loop know that I've been sort of known for having an anti-bolting tirade thing going at The Far Side: which is also in the process of being outed. Please realize that mentality is also in support of the person who discovered and turned me onto that spot, and that these locations are different as night and day. So are my attitudes.

Coethedral, this place, will be a place where all of Ben's bros, all climbing bros, can enjoy some bolted knob routes and treat each other with respect, dignity and in a mutually supportive environment. It's everyone's place now, but mostly yours. You guys be sure and thank Benny when you see him for the dream and his vision.

regards

Bill

ps, I'd like to thank my bros for renaming it from Cathedral to Coethedral. I don't have that kind of imagination but it's a fantastic name given that there's already a "Cathedral" in every state of the union probably including Iowa and most likely Puerto Rico too, and maybe like 12 of the damn things in California - 4 in Yosemite alone. When I think "Cathedral", I want to think classic New Hampshire and Whitehorse anyway.