Lightweight short technical ice axe w/hammer?

Wallstein

I'm looking for the best lightweight short ice axe/tool with a hammer for alpine rockclimbing . The best thing I can find is the Simond Fox Carving axe

The only problem with the Simond is it lacks a hammer, which is mandatory in places like Patagonia (and you can't buy them in the US). I have a Simond super fox rock currently which is sweet for glacier travel and then pounding in pins but it would be pretty grim to climb anything steeper with it.

I've used the BD venom a bunch and am happy with the way it performs but I'd really like something a fair bit lighter. Anyone one know of a tool/axe that is shaped and featured like a BD Venom but way lighter?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...

Got my modified Simond Fox Carving tool back from Dane!

Awesome!

It comes in somewhere around 375g. Which is about the same as the older Simond Fox (that is hard to find). The Carving will be a bit nicer for actually climbing alpine ice with its curved shaft. Also nice for high dagger. It does kinda feel like a toy ice tool.... I wonder how long its going to last.

photo_7_.JPG