L5 S1 herniated disc -- surgeon recommendations?

Hi all,

I've got a badly herniated L5 S1 disc that I've been dealing with for a couple of years. It finally got bad enough that I've had to quit climbing, and after months of physical therapy and 2 epidural steroid shots, my doctor is recommending surgery. I'm going to get a second (and third, and probably fourth) opinion, but in the meantime I wanted to start edjumactin' myself on our local surgeons.

So, does anyone have any Seattle area surgeon recommendations? Ideally someone who regularly performs laparoscopic surgery.

I'd also be interested in recommendations for excellent physical therapists who are used to working with active clients, or info on other alternative methods to try.So far I've tried yoga, acupuncture, chiropractics, and osteopathy. I'm currently looking into decompression and would be curious to hear about what people's experiences have been.

[img:left] Hot hot herniated action[/img]

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have fought L5/S1 problems on and off for the last 15 years, mostly off. I know you didn't ask about this, but if you get a chance pick up Mind Over Back Pain by John Sarno before you go under the knife. It has been a life changer for me.

can't say I've tried everything and no one has ever been able to point at anything specifically after all the tests have been done but I have just had to listen to my trick back more and lower my expectations or suffer being laid up for weeks at a time in bed. I now cross train; never really use to : bicycle, hike, stretching (way less intensely than I use to; it was causing problems too), backpack (too boring?) and walking and smelling the coffee. I know this sounds like a real drag; it is at any age when your hooked on the high of rock climbing. I was/still am to the point of ignoring the inner voice of reason and throwing my back out dozens of times in the past. A lot of people pop a lot of pills just to keep going. Some go to surgery. I get depressed thinking of all the climbing I can no longer do. But wtf, there really is more to life than just climbing-I tell myself-especially when I am able to walk again after weeks in bed. Personally climbing is a neuroses in me and I have to watch myself or suffer the consequences-bed rest. Many would argue that it's a selfish sport that does nothing for anyone-exactly why I liked it: no cash, publicity, fans-completely meaningless in the moment shit. Pure selfish ego and no reward; just a drive to repeat the experience over and over.TMI? best wishes with your decision.

If you must go under the knife, let Ali Naini do the cutting. Local guy (from Tacoma) who went to the best schools (Harvard and Johns Hopkins) and is widely considered by nurses, therapists and peers to the best neurosurgeon practicing in this area...or any other, for that matter.

He did my neck and I had an awesome result.

• 1 month later...