?Rapping Snow Creek Wall

Crillz

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, that walk off is a nightmare. Carns everywhere, 4th class scrambling down sandy death slabs. We spent more time downclimbing that "walk off" than we did on the climb. With a guide who knows which carn is the real carn...maybe. I plan to hump over the top next time. I'd been there before, but 30 years ago.

You are a wanker.

I agree, the walk-off is easy:

-If you know where you are going

-If you are comfortable/able to follow a rock cairn/climber/mountain goat trail that occasionally forks or turns when you may not expect it to (i.e. you've never been down it)

-You are comfortable on terrain that occasionally has angled slabs and loose rock.

I've done the walk-off many-many times and have no issues with it, yet I've gone down with people that are sketched at the loose rock, slabs and what seems to be no discernible trail to them (Them: "Where's the trail?" Me: "Your standing on it" Them: "Where does it go?" Me: "Where that path and rock cairn is" Them: "Uh, OK").

I understand that not everyone's routefinding ability on unfamiliar (occassionally) loose/steep(er) terrain is not the same.

With that in mind, a rap descent can be many times faster (and possibly safer). You can even bring up a tag line that weighs little and allows you to do double rope raps without the extra weight of a second rope. Also, if you are climbing with a party of 3, you may already have that second rope, and chances are someone in your group will be extremely slow on the walk-off due to lack of comfort/experience with the terrain.

why do you have pics of naked guys so readily accessible to you? ;)

Wimmin like to take pics of me when I'm nekkid. Like this one here. Don't ask me why... Rest assured that for each and every one of these pics, there was a woman behind the lens.

And I see where this thread has brought you out of nearly a year's worth of lurking. Was it the pics, or what? :D

The Annual Spectacle Lake Icebreaker Plunge (yours truly on the right)

Spectacle_Lake-June_1990_01.jpg