?Rapping Snow Creek Wall

Crillz

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just did the walk off Saturday… why rap when the walk off is so mellow? Just follow the goats down as we did :) Plus you can get water once you descend a few hundred feet. If u where to rap it I’d think you’d want to ropes. Sure someone will chime in with da answer

I think people here have reported doing the Pearly Gates walk-off without rapping either.

I remember someone mentioning rapping SCW recently, within the last couple months anyway. I thought they talked about going down Iconoclast or something... if you search you may be able to find it.

But just to annoyingly reiterate what's been said already: I would seriously do the walk-off anyway, it's fast and easy.

Wanted to do the soft-man link up of Orbit and Outerspace and figured it might make a good alt. to the walkoff. Figured 2 or 3 dbl rope raps from chains (if it is so) would be easier than walking down. May need all the help we can get.

I thought it was Iconoclast or something like that too. Not much info about it in the guidebook.

Wanted to do the soft-man link up of Orbit and Outerspace and figured it might make a good alt. to the walkoff. Figured 2 or 3 dbl rope raps from chains (if it is so) would be easier than walking down. May need all the help we can get.

I thought it was Iconoclast or something like that too. Not much info about it in the guidebook.

No chains on Outerspace as I remember, you'd have to leave gear. There are some bolts on the south end of Library Ledge, not sure where you'd wind up if you rapped off from there however. I'd reccommend the walk-off.

This is what I was after. Thanks Telemarker's old post.

Or you can just rap Snow Creek Wall's chain anchors down Edge Of Space. Three double rope raps to 2 tree ledge, then a single to the ground. This is my preferred choice descent these days...

Now nobody needs to mention the walk off in lieu of the rap beta anymore.

Or you can just rap Snow Creek Wall's chain anchors down Edge Of Space. Three double rope raps to 2 tree ledge, then a single to the ground. This is my preferred choice descent these days...

I guess I should add that by "a single to the ground", I meant scrambling over from 2 tree ledge to the slings at the top of the first pitch of O/S. Or, you can do one more double rope rap from the slings encountered on 2 tree ledge. This still leaves you with a 50' 4th/low-5th class downclimb, so keep that in mind.

You know there's a walk off right?

I would prefer to rap as well.

Ibeleve his original question wasn't 'how easy is the walkoff on scw.' He just wants to know where the rap stations are. And how do you know rapping is not infinitely a better plan on scw? Have you done it?

For anyone who is wondering, here is the beta.

You don't always have to do something before deciding whether it's a good idea.

The walk-off is so simple and fast I don't understand why you'd want to bring an extra rope just to rap. I don't think you can do four raps faster than the walk-down, even if you know exactly where all the anchors are. Plus, apparently you have to downclimb 4th class terrain? Plus all the inherent risks of rappelling. I don't get it. Why do that?

Rapping definitely has its risks, but so does that walkoff, especially if you have a couple numbnuts above you kicking rocks as they descend.

The walkoff too has sections of 4th downclimbing albeit shorter. I'll admit rapping scw isn't a huge time-saver, but it is a big energy saver, especially fir multi-route days.

I'm just lazier these days I guess, and would rather avoid walking down that p.o.s. descent!

Edited by telemarker

I agree, that walk off is a nightmare. Carns everywhere, 4th class scrambling down sandy death slabs. We spent more time downclimbing that "walk off" than we did on the climb. With a guide who knows which carn is the real carn...maybe. I plan to hump over the top next time. I'd been there before, but 30 years ago.

I agree, that walk off is a nightmare. Carns everywhere, 4th class scrambling down sandy death slabs. We spent more time downclimbing that "walk off" than we did on the climb. With a guide who knows which carn is the real carn...maybe. I plan to hump over the top next time. I'd been there before, but 30 years ago.

I remember only one short class 4 section.

Rapping is probably a bad idea on a busy day up there. The crux of OS and Orbit on a w/e day in the summer is not getting tired walking off an extra time but not getting bored waiting for the parties ahead of you on whichever you do 2nd. But it is a good way to end up on Mary Jane Dihedral!

I've always wanted a fixed rap line down, slightly climber's left of outer space. I think it would be nice. I can guarantee that if a fixed series of stations existed, any serious alpinist or wall rat could rap the wall with a single 50m rope faster than even "Dan Howwit" could jog down the standard descent. :brew: