Mixed training crags?

chris

Hey team,

In four weeks I'm finally moving back to Seattle after a long "sabatical" down in California. When I left, I knew of two crags available for mixed training. Is there anywhere new? I'm really wondering if there's a new wall amongst the Exits that it might be ok to scratch up in the not-ice-season.

Way excited to be coming home - see you soon!!

Chris

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I'll give you two answers:

1) the crags jpark42 mentions are specifically developed for mixed scratching around. I like the SR900 crag outside of Issaquah best as its the closest and actually has some of the best rock, and I was the one who installed all the bolts to correct tension so I know it's bomber.

2) Most people who are serious about mixed and are Jonesing end up going to Banff for a long weekend starting mid-October through Thanksgiving.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Depends what you are training for I guess, if you want to work on your M-superhard overhanging figure 4s and 9s then yeah, the E38 and 900 crags suck. But if you want to work on the sort of stuff you'll find in the alpine or otherwise "easier" mixed climbs that don't go beyond vertical, then I've found the local drytool options useful if not stellar. A good place to go in the rain too (and get wet).

• 3 weeks later...

keep your eye open for any road cut that is on a rarely traveled road. (like a logging road for example) Find a super strong tree for a TR anchor and have the belayer anchored and away from base of the climb in case rock comes peeling off.

It doesn't have to be pretty to be mixed climbable. In fact, the uglier the rock, the better it is.