Mid SEPT Climbing - St Helens, Hood, or Adams?

timberdawg93

I'm a relative newbie from the Southeast - climbed Ranier once with RMI guides & have mainly done non-technical Colorado 14 teeners.

Going to be in Portland the weekend of Sept 18-19 & can't seem to score a MSH permit (yet), so I'm looking for feedback on what else makes the most sense this time of year - Thanks!!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you want to do st helens just screw the permit and go up anyways. just play lotsa stupid if you're asked at all, ie: no don't have my ID. No, a friend dropped me off, not sure of his/hear address..NW something street? leave a good bit before sun-up.

or go up adams. either is going to be a long scree slog, adams longer of course. again, start early as possible, or a few hours before dawn to avoid spending forever under the sun (though if that is your cup of tea..)

have fun.

dont go up hood then, if you want to actually summit anything.

Why would you say not to go up mt hood?

Can't speak for the person who said not to, but I would not plan to climb Hood on a specific date in September because the chances of conditions being solid enough (cold enough so that there is no falling ice or rock) to be safe on a specific date in September are not good. Mt. Hood has killed many. Don't take it lightly because there are easy routes to the summit.

Mt. Adams south climb no problem as long as high pressure prevails and the weather forecast is good (no storms) for several days.

Don't fall prey to the pyschological trap sometimes referred to as "the lost opportunity". In other words, it is often tempting to go through with a planned climb, despite the facts that conditions are not suitable, because you have traveled from somewhere else and can only climb on a certain date. Too many have pushed caution aside because it was their only chance and all too often those who do so perish, making it truly their last chance. Dont' take it.

Edited by pcg

just screw the permit and go up anyways. just play lotsa stupid if you're asked at all, ie: no don't have my ID. No, a friend dropped me off, not sure of his/hear address..NW something street? leave a good bit before sun-up.

Does this strategy work for Boston basin as well :) ?

Yes. I have dru's name and address memorized for just an occasion.