Stair training

ConTrail

So in preparation for my first climb, I was wondering if stair training was worth it if I will only have a few weeks to add these to my routine?

Other thoughts:

- how much should my pack weigh?

- how long should a training session take? (granted i'm in decent shape from training for a marathon)

- should i be practicing any technique while training?

- best ways to stuff a pack? (i.e. what to put in there?)

Thanks in advance!!!

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Besides doing it w a pack, try it w/out a pack but a small dumbell, instead. You can shift the weight from 1 arm to the other, perhaps it may help with your climbing hand, forearm and finger strength? Otherwise, I used to just put some metal weights (40-50 lb)in the pack and let er rip... Go at the pace you plan on hiking at. Or , work up to it, if needed.

I don't know if this is a viable option for you, but I do a lot of training hikes up Mt. Si and other trails with my weight primarily as water (in bottles or Dromidary bags) in your 40-50 pound range. I start with 25-30 pounds and work up. I dump the water before heading downhill (easier on my old knees). It really helps my strength and endurance for climbs and beats the gym or home for fresh air and scenery (if I can't go on a climb in the first place...the best training after all). Good luck with your first climb!