Middle Sister Reports?

ConTrail

Hey all,

First just like to say hello since this is my first post but have been exploring the forums for the past few days and I must say, it's awesome!

I was wondering if anyone had a TR of Middle Sister coming from the Obsidian Trail? A group of us will be out that way Aug 18-20 and were considering a summit attempt.

Also, I am still researching level of difficulty and the technical challenges Middle Sister poses so if anyone has information on that, I would love to hear it.

Edited by ConTrail

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I don't have any report but I am interested in what you find as I am planning a trip that way in 2 or 3 weeks. Please post. This is one summit I have hit about every year since the early 70's. Last year I was shocked by the huge amount of snow gone from the upper mountain which eliminated a lot of the easy trek up to the ridge. Still not that difficult.

If you stay on the main route there is a nice trail up to maybe 8000 feet after that you will be on the snow / glacier off and on. I take an ax as there is some glacier travel and, depending on where you cross, often small crevasses. If there is much snow/ice left on the short steeper stretch on the upper ridge I have wished I had my crampons there. It is not a technical climb, a notch above walking up the South Sister... just be careful and have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

A shot from the top of Washington on Fri, 8/20:

Mt%20Washington%2020%20Aug%202010%20040.jpg

What you can't see in the picture is the trail is free and clear all the way into Obsidian and well up onto the slopes above the meadow areas (was there ~2wks ago as well). Very straightforward route, a little scree and dust from the saddle to the summit, but very enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...