Climbing Slang

Recriminator

The first word is from a climbig slang guide from Rock and Ice .Feel free to add any known climbing slang .After all we all know climbers need a bigger volcabulary

Aggro: short for aggressive.Can also be a world view."BURNING" is such an aggro route I have to drink 4 cups of spro just to pull off the ground

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ignorant climbers would do well to abandon the ridiculous and insulting jargon they've developed and to invest a little time learning more about the English language (instead of degrading it). I'm sorry, but when I need to hang from the rope (say, to retrieve a nut), I refuse to demand my belayer to "take". I will be requesting tension. I won't be "sending the sickness" out at the crags; I'll simply be scaling difficult walls competently. Not that a little jargon is so terrible, but traditional belay signals have facilitated safe climbing for decades.

quote:

Originally posted by pope:
Ignorant climbers would do well to abandon the ridiculous and insulting jargon they've developed and to invest a little time learning more about the English language (instead of degrading it). I'm sorry, but when I need to hang from the rope (say, to retrieve a nut), I refuse to demand my belayer to "take". I will be requesting tension. I won't be "sending the sickness" out at the crags; I'll simply be scaling difficult walls competently. Not that a little jargon is so terrible, but traditional belay signals have facilitated safe climbing for decades.

"Are you ready, Ski King?""Make it happen, Captain""Send mode enabled""Chick power, check."(climbs)"Weak sauce alert!""Gotcha" (locks off)"Fuckin* goddam* mother-fuckin* whor* of a route! OK sending""Send on!"

"Yeaaaa! Whaaaa!" (swish, boing)"Nice Airtime!""OK sending!""Give er the dose dude!"

(Clip clip)

"Sent! Dominated!""Got it on video!""Ok dirt me!""Dirting!"

From issue#67 Rock&Ice Sept\Oct 1993 Ya I know some of you were still pissen in your britches back then and thought climbing was playing king of the monkey bars at kindergarten,but it still relates today.Ethics Police; People who feel frustrated with life and sublimate a desire to be Nazis by enforcing rules that only they are clear about.Used in a sentence:Who F!#$en made retrosoreass crag ethics police! rolleyes.gif" border="0

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Recriminator ]