[TR] Alaska Range - Peak 11,300 4/22/2010

DanielHarro

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Above the grey rock bivy site was the worst of the trenching and with all seriousness I made a trench so high or I guess deep that I could not reach the top with my arm fully extended with a tool in my hand. I was forced to climb out of the trench after about two hrs of wet sugary leading. All in all it was a great learning experience.

Above the grey rock bivy site was the worst of the trenching and with all seriousness I made a trench so high or I guess deep that I could not reach the top with my arm fully extended with a tool in my hand. I was forced to climb out of the trench after about two hrs of wet sugary leading. All in all it was a great learning experience.

So how was ave danger? It looked fairly stable - but maybe you edited out the scary parts for mom? :laf:

Cool video!

I was out there at the same time. I think you are camped below me on April 24th. Looks like your tents in this short vid I took. I did not get to climb this trip, just went out to putz around on my skis before starting work up there. I could not resist the perfect bluebird day so I went in for just one night. Glad to see you guys made it up in suffer-fest style! :brew:

[video:youtube]

Hampshire-

I prefer Alaskan Summer Ale!! Do you have any cool photos from your tip? You had the right idea flying into the base of 11,300. Did you meet the two east coast guys that made the second ascent of the season?

My favorite shot from that trip was this one...

smaller_Ruth_Glacier_Moon_3.jpg but you can sift through a shit ton more Here - AK Range for a Day Pics

Also, more vids at my YouTube site(s) Dave's You Tube

I may have met the east coast guys but only a brief hello so not sure if it was them or not. There was only a few climbers and a few rangers in that early though, so it could well have been them.

damn daniel. I feel your pain. it took us two FULL days on a winter attempt to get to the bivy site below thin man's squeeze. It was the worst trenching I've ever done. I did a lot of the vertical leading with two tools and a shovel clipped to my harness.

bleh!

Wfinley-

The avalanche danger was a concern, but the sugar was surprisingly stable.  During the steep trenching things got a bit more sketchy since their was no pro and the sugar was not inspiring confidence.  The most scary moment was when Eric too a fall of the first cornices section while we were simul climbing together.  The second most scary moment is after the fall I led the rest of the corniced section and a 20-25 foot wide by 40ish feet long section of the cornice broke right in front of me, I almost crapped my pants. 

Daniel Harro

Hey Daniel -

Way to trench! When we did the 2nd ascent in 1980 we had perfect neve or boilerplate blue ice all the way from the bivy notch to the summit. Below that the snow was firm and probably only mid-calf deep. And that was in April...

The worst trenching I've had to do was on the Rooster Comb climbing the SE FAce of the main peak in 1978. I was trenching my way up towards the ridge in bottomless sugar, when the top three feet of snow above me avalanched over the top of me. Buried both tools and held on for dear life!

Anyway, good on you for perseverance!

Pics of our climb here:

http://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/921453/TR_West_Fork_Ruth_Huntington_E#Post921453

Jay Kerr

Jay-

I love both of your trip reports, great reads for sure!! I still think climbing the col between the Rooster Comb and Huntington was crazy! I was looking at that during out trip and I seen quite a few slides on the entire face!

We were luck we experianced no avalanches!

Thanks for the TR's again Jay!!! Feel free to post others, I am sure you have some more cool adventures!

• 2 months later...