Dubious Distinctions

pope

When I first became interested in climbing, back in the early 1980's, I attended a slide presentation featuring Big Jim "DeWeeWee" and another local clown. Big Jim, not to be confused with Big Brother Jim (Whitaker), put on a superb show detailing what were obvious accomplishments in Patagonia. The other guest, Larry Nielson, presented the story of how he became the first American to climb Mt. Everest without oxygen, and while his presentation certainly entertained, even then something seemed a little artificial.

To be the first to ascend a peak or a major route is without question the epitome of the mountaineering experience. But the first American to climb Everst without oxygen? Unless Americans qualify under some kind of handicap status, why all the fuss? If people can generate commercial success out of such "accomplishments", more power to them, although I suppose in the end guys like Hornbein get overlooked.

When thinking about this question, I eventually turn my attention back to the Cascades. I know a guy who claims to hold the speed record for the Tooth (that's not just car-to-car, that's Seattle-to-Seattle....apparently the clock starts when you leave the UW rock). I know a guy who can climb Classic Crack with one hand. I know a guy who fell off the crux of Clean Crack...while trying to solo it, and then jumped right back on for the free-solo ascent. I know a guy who claims to have been blown on more summits than any other climber (how he'd know this I'm not sure). I know a guy who claims to have completed the slowest ascent of the R&D route in Leavenworth. Not that the exploits of these guys should receive the same attention as Jim Nelson and Kit Lewis for their winter ascent of Mt. Slesse.

If you've secured a spot in the Cascade Hall of Fame, either through a bold display of mountaineering excellence, or perhaps by pursuing an end so ridiculous that nobody else would dare follow, it might be fun to hear about it.

[ 11-18-2001: Message edited by: pope ]

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing special, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who's done it: Once I did every move on the first pitch of city park with hooks.

This also gives me a chance to contribute to the Pope Confesional: I was self belaying on a fixed line...oh the shame blush.gif" border="0 I was glad 'cause one of the cam hooks blew and I fell. I screamed like a girl.

Oh yeah, I know someone who led that pitch(on aid) in less than ten minutes. [Wazzup]

[ 11-19-2001: Message edited by: Lambone ]

I wonder what the record on the Tooth is. A friend did in 3 hours and claimed it could not be done any faster. I did it 2:15, car to car and felt I could easily have done it faster. (I stopped to eat a Cliff bar.) I am sure Burdo could do it much faster than that. (In addition to climbing ridiculously hard, he is a near world class runner).

Back in the good old days - I was working on a job site on the seattle waterfront (some big ass condo project by the piers), there is this total moron I have to work with I seriously wonder how he made it to 40, at the end of the day we are leaving and he drives onto the trolly track to be hit by the trolly right in the drivers door. WHAM! He wasent hurt (not badly) so it was very funny. He had to drive around until it could be repaired with the imprint of the front of the trolly in his drivers door and explain to everybody when they said "geeze, what the hell happend to your truck?"

He continued to terrorize me with his antics of throwing scraps of metal off of roofs onto big iron workers, walking into holes while carrying stuff, driving his truck into bigger holes etc., I finally fired him for stealing hot chocolate from a Boeing cafeteria.

My distinction was surviving working with "Piss ball Pete"

quote:

Originally posted by erik:

actually scott the rocker panel is not on the front of the vehicle. they are the strutural support beams that run along the outter edges of the body floor pan and weld into the doort support posts, front center and rear. right below all the doors. typically what you see when you look at most cars is the rocker moulding. you might have been mistaken and were talking about the header panel which houses the headlights and grille. thought you might want to know. just like the fenders are only on the right and left front of all vehicles, in front of the doors. whilst the 1/4 panels are on the right and left rear of each vehicle. behind the doors.

I didn't think that sounded right...yeah, it was the header panel. Strip it clean off, but left the lights fullt operative.

Dubious distinctions? I've been sun-burned bad enough to puke. I took a class from Fred Beckey. My dad got Chouinard's autograph for me at the airport. I've also got Big Lou's autograph. I've down-soloed Canary, and I watched Todd Skinner "free" City Park. Well, it wasn't all that free. I've also bailed off Liberty Crack at least three times.

quote:

Originally posted by pope:
Dubious distinctions? I've been sun-burned bad enough to puke. I took a class from Fred Beckey. My dad got Chouinard's autograph for me at the airport. I've also got Big Lou's autograph. I've down-soloed Canary, and I watched Todd Skinner "free" City Park. Well, it wasn't all that free. I've also bailed off Liberty Crack at least three times.

Pope- if you dont have a lady friend to apply the sunscreen you can wear a condom on the sensitive area and prevent the painful burning from occurring. I have been drunk enough to puke many times but through application of common sense like this, never burnt into puking range. [Moon]

I once climbed Mt. Baker with the sole sustinance of one box of Little Debbie Fudge Dipped Granola Bars. On the summit I found what I think was a Baby Ruth (like in Caddy Shack...), which I promptly gobbled.

Did a nonspot (oooo!!! AHHH!! (sarcasm)) of the Fisher Chimneys with a friend. Between the two of us we had a round of Gouda cheese from the BGO (Bellingham Grocery Outlet...) and...you guessed it.. more Little Debbies. I think maybe we had a couple powerbar type things too. No food-booty found.

Uhhh...I met Conrad Anker's parents once. My best time on the Tooth is 2:26 (official time between leaving the honey bucket to that point which you find out whether there's a notice of non-compliance on the windshield). I liked all that stoopid grunge shit BEFORE I moved to Seattle('90). Can drive from Seattle to the end of the Middle Fork road in under 2 hours. No moving violations in 18 years. Been on top of Big Snow Mountain 3 times, twice in the middle of the night. How's that?

Chuck

quote:

Originally posted by max:
I once climbed Mt. Baker with the sole sustinance of one box of Little Debbie Fudge Dipped Granola Bars. On the summit I found what I think was a Baby Ruth (like in Caddy Shack...), which I promptly gobbled.

Did a nonspot (oooo!!! AHHH!! (sarcasm)) of the Fisher Chimneys with a friend. Between the two of us we had a round of Gouda cheese from the BGO (Bellingham Grocery Outlet...) and...you guessed it.. more Little Debbies. I think maybe we had a couple powerbar type things too. No food-booty found.

Good thing you said "Caddy Shack" and not "Pink Flamingoes".