Slesse Crossover Descent Trail Work

Colin

The weekend before last, some friends and I (officially a CASBC 'adopt a crag' event) spent a long day making a trail that connects the Slesse Crossover Descent with the memorial plaque - what used to be a long bushwack. Since the Crossover Descent is by far the fastest and most convenient way off of Slesse, and since the Slesse Creek Valley (the old standard descent) was recently closed by the Canadian Military, this trail is very necessary.

We tried to make as well-established a trail as possible so that it will hopefully last a long, long time. As more and more people begin to use the Crossover Descent the foot traffic will keep the trail from disappearing. From the scree/snow basin at the end of the Crossover Descent, look for some really big cairns on the skier's left side of the basin. They will lead you to some liberal flagging, which will lead you to the trail we cut through all the brush. The entire way is marked with flagging and reflective markers, to make sure that everyone can find it and stay on route (and therefore keep the trail alive with their feet).

A good, very-detailed description of the whole Crossover Descent can be found here:

http://www.jeremyfrimer.com/visitor/Crossover_Pass_Descent.pdf

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The trail was actually pretty well established already when I did the route last summer. There was good flagging most of the way, and the shwack had been cut back to get up the hill to the plaque. The only place it was hard to find was actually way up the hill after leaving the cirque and entering the woods.

good work, Colin and friends. a long time ago, when I was just starting to climb, an expectation was laid on me by those that I learned from that to be a 'full' member of the climbing community one needed to spend one day each year clearing trail and one day each year teaching someone new. some years I managed to fulfil that expectation, some years I exceeded it, and some years I didn't make it, but I never forgot it. you've set a fine example when, as one of the strongest and most active climbers in the region, you've taken a potential climbing day and dedicated it to 'the community'. I hope many others follow your example...

kudos!