Eldorado East Ridge conditions for Soloing?

thatcher

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess one of the big questions might be how much glacier travel experience do you have in your skills kit? Ability to read the snow. (I.e., sags, shadows, and other telltale glacier travel abilities learned from significant glacier travel experience.)

No question, there will be a well tromped out path to the summit. And, on a more likely than not basis a number of other climbers around, even on a week day this time of year. Perhaps you might be able to rope up with same for the realatively short distance of crevassed glacier. Note that there will still be a fair bit of seasonal snow on both the Eldorado and Inspirztion Glciers, making good judgement the likely key element for your safety. I've done it solo, and others as well. However I've not been up there this season, expecially in the last week or two.

Not being apprised of your past glacier travel expereince that's about all I (or someone else for that matter) could possibly add.

This would all be a bloody glimpse of the obvious, now wouldn't it?

Have fun. Please let us know your findings! Perhaps you can provide others the information you are seeking.

I was up July 22/23 and would totally have solo'd it then, after seeing conditions. Glaciers were in great shape, you'd hardly know it there was more than just big snowfields up there. Never put on crampons. Summit ridge was in great shape too. I went with a partner and we did rope up for a bit but it was really just a big snow hike with a fun finish. That was a week and a half ago of course.