Calling Big Lou

pope

Discussions exploring the question of why no NW legends post at CC.com seem to point to the abundance of spray on the site. In fact, one NW fixture (hardly a legend, but the author of an obscure guide book) recently snuck onto this site, posted information/opinions, then reminded us that by doing so he had jeopardized his credibility with the wider spectrum of NW climbers.

If this is really keeping NW legends away, then this is one poster who is incredibly disappointed. I can't imagine a NW "legend" who takes himself so seriously that he'd resist the temptation to join in and contribute to the hilarious shit that gets heaved around CC.com. And to those who think "serious" discourse would attract a higher caliber of climber, do you really think a seasoned veteran needs to turn to a website for hot tips? Can you imagine Big Lou posting a question about appropriate ways to load a pack? Do you think Fred Beckey is going to post the contents of his secret black book?

Again, if you consider yourself a NW legend, and if you've been sneaking around this site without contributing to the spray in an attempt to maintain your dignity, let's just say your asshole's so tight you could sit on a lump of coal and make a diamond.

In my opinion, there are only two NW legends: Big Lou and Fred Beckey. Now, eventually, one of these guys is going to contribute. Won't you feel silly for having been too hip to post to CC.com when one of those guys comes to play.

[ 11-10-2001: Message edited by: pope ]

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude! I had a dream once where Big Lou appeared to me and told me to mark my carabiners. All of them. And not with black or yellow tape like everyone else.

My predictions: if His Lou-ness ever decides to post to this site, a lot of cocky big-talkin' small fries are gonna run for cover; their attitudes forever humbled. I suggest that we organize a vigil around this web-site, 24/7 in the event that B.L. chooses to post. We will take turns staring at the screen. We will need a phone tree set up so that the word can go out as soon as possible whenever it happens. Some of you may be awakened in the middle of the night with joyous news. I nominate pope for the first screen watch. He can monitor the action from now until the first of the year between the hours of 12:01 AM and midnight. I suggest a pee bucket near his computer. Actually, I suggest a pee bucket near all of your computers because you might not be able to hold back when the big event happens!

- Dwayner [big Drink] just gettin' ready to bust into my breakfast sixer of Mickey's. five more to go! [big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink][big Drink]

From the first reports of Big Lou sightings I knew this forum wouldn't let me down. I remember the launch party for Mariah Magazine in Chicago when I actually stood next to Henry schmoozing with Royal, but was unable to get anywhere near the star attraction who gave the A-list crowd a thrilling slide show on his expedition to K2, the one which overcame many unspeakable ordeals on the approach march alone, only to be defeated high on the mountain when a high-altitude porter had a bad case of worms. Triumph and tragedy; Big Lou a legend to rival Greek myth. You are so right that those of us who are nonlegends, or less, nonentities, will scatter like leaves when he comes.

Hey Texexplorer! Come on over here and sit on Uncle Dwayner's lap and let him edumacate you about Big Lou. First of all, pardner, let me ask you a couple of questions: number one: you don't know why Big Lou is a legend? confused.gif" border="0 Question number two : you telling me that you don't know why Big Lou be a legend, huh? confused.gif" border="0 Alright, get the hell off my lap, it would take way too much

splainin'. Go read the book by His Lou-ness that describes everything from high altitude escapes to nude antics involving a trampoline. [Moon] In the meantime, we'll just have to saddle on up to the bar here, consume a few cold ones [big Drink] , and talk a bit about Fred Beckey until the babes arrive. After which, I'll start up the Lou stories which inevitably has the effect of utterly enchanting the ladies. tongue.gif" border="0 When things start getting a little frisky, I'll tip my hat to y'all, walk slowly to the door thinking nothing but thoughts of alpine excellence, and leave you to manage the situation. And oh yah, you'll be thankin' Lou later for the inspiration!

ciao, Dwayner cool.gif" border="0

I've seen Lou every time I've been to the Outdoor Retailer's convention, and the guy is seriously BIG. I'm a large person --at least according to the clothes I wear-- and tower over most of the famous climbers at the convention (JC Lafaille, Mark Wilford, Tori Allen, Tommy Caldwell, Beth Rodden, Liv Sansoz, John Bachar, Christian Griffith, Ron Kauk, Jim Bridwell, and on and on). Only Dean Potter and Lou Whittaker do I have to look up to, and Lou outweighs Dean by fifty pounds (it's a no-brainer to pick who'd win in a barfight between 'em).

So, how do y'all KNOW that no NW legends post at CC.com?

And if BIGNESS is so wunnerful, FREECLIMB, you need to come worship at MY altar. I may not be quite as TALL as that Louis person, but I am for sure BIG. And I do actually go climbing regularly. Haven't written my biography yet though, maybe that's way I get no respect.

Hugs,

BIGONES

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:
Only Dean Potter and Lou Whittaker do I have to look up to, and Lou outweighs Dean by fifty pounds (it's a no-brainer to pick who'd win in a barfight between 'em).

Yeah, easy indeed. While Big Who? I mean while Big Lou was putting his dentures in to "teach sonny thar a lesson" Dean would have already wandered out of the bar, and hopped in the van to packed the bong...who wants to fight? Leaving Pooh, uhh I mean Lou wondering "what went with that young whippersnapper anyway?

Hey groovy guys and groovy gals!

You wanna see the most handsomest picture of our hero to be found on the Internet? You do? How about you, Charlie? If you had the super-deluxe Big Lou mug, you'd have this smilin' face gawking at you EVERY morning as you jive that java! tongue.gif" border="0web pageEnjoy!- Dwayner tongue.gif" border="0

[ 11-14-2001: Message edited by: Dwayner ]

• 3 weeks later...