A short history of SPRAY Part 1

mikeadam

So once upon a time there were just a few of us who used to post at Cascadeclimbers, but now there are thousands registered and many many unknown lurkers.

A history is in order: From time to time there have been periods on the website where a subtle push and shove occurred. Generally this revolved around two opposing factions known as "Sprayers" and "Those who choose not to spray". Sprayers preferred an irreverent approach to the whole concept of the electronic bulletin board and would interject tasteless, tactless and often completely useless information into each and every thread. Oftentimes this was done with the assistance of an avatar or login name designed to create angst among the fellow posters on the website. Trolling became an art and a science. Banal psychology was now a posting method.

Strangely enough the whole concept of spray was created by an anonymous poster known as ZDFG. ZDFG promised us that the internet people were the demise of cascade mountaineering and skiing and that by posting on this site we would eventually lead to the demise of all held sacred and holy in Cascade mountaineering history. ZDFG suggested that we should all move back home and restore the Cascade mountains to their former isolated glory. The sprayers reacted by going one step further. We knew in fact at that time that we were and still are a blight on the ass of Cascade climbing. What a divine light we stand in. What a priveledge to spray....

ZDFG's challenge prompted many to adopt activities that could only be described as nefarious or underhanded. Many faux names began to appear and the first real BATTLE CAGE matches began to appear. These initial forays grew darker and darker as more avatars were spawned to stave the ranks of posts gone awry. Soon a veritable avalanche of hostile, belligerent and sometimes even funny posts began to permeate the site. Chaos began to reign...

...The non sprayers counterattacked.

Among the alpine cogniscenti to disagree were MVS and Alex. Erstwhile warriors of light and justice sent to maintain order in the Cascadesprayers galaxy....others followed...and eventually the barrage of spray reached a standstill....weighed down by it's own ramifications spray ground to a brief halt...

But then more warriors of spray appeared on the scene. Newer and more powerful models then previously believed possible...their initial tactics were deception. Postings caged in a Trojan Horse of legitimacy....we began to see the genius of Pope in the form of Big Lou sightings and observations...slowly the hibernating sprayers began to realize a powerful entity of spray had arrived and the wave of useless prose marched on...still...little bright lights of useful information would creak through the grey curtain of spray being spread like a blanket over the website....in response Caveman began to emerge and walk upright...AlpineK made his daring move into the limelight...Pope continued to woo us with his daring tales of one piece North Face defecation...Donna Top Step emerged as the premier female sucubus....Dru emerged as top poster engendering possible initiation into the Tarzan Awards...Erik's snappy offhand remarks created more angst then previously believed...more would follow....

Still there are many posters dormant now that no longer post...SnowLeapord...Dwayner is nearly reticent....Donna Top Step is extinct and buried in the cesspools of Boulder Colorado...how many more will go silent???

TO BE CONTINUED ("Avatars Revealed for the 1st time" PT2)...or feel free to tack on...hey it's spray anyway...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh, heh, heh...

It seems that things have mellowed out around here latley. After bad shit started going down outside of the CC.C world people began to adopt an odd friendly tone. Now rare cries of vicious spray are quickly shot down by the masses. Of course Dru is still out there making people smirk with his one-liners, but I can't remember the last time I got hate mail from Caveman...

Who knows, mabye the old school posters will follow the footsteps of the great mikeadam and reunite with the cyber-climbing community.

I surely hope so...

smile.gif" border="0

In the beginning there was spray . . and it was good ....

It's just a f@#$ing website. At best this thing is like a bad soap opera. Would you take advice from people that spend hours each day posting on a website anymore than the lard ass working at the local REI? "Yea, I use them there spectra daisy-chains cause when your as fat as me you need them little bastards to hold ya on the wall." With the time I have spent on this wretched site I could have memorized the Beckey books. Yes, I admit I am one of the smart asses on this site too. So to all the sprayers out there- curse you and god bless your pathetic souls.

In the past week I have had JON AND TIM THE MODERATORS reject not one, but two attempts of mine to register names other than Dru so that I could try and catch up to Ray and Mike in the "number of avatars" sweepstakes. No dice.

You Bastards! [Moon]