Dog up Mt. Daniel?

alienPDX

Personal opinions regarding dogs on climbs aside, can anyone tell me if it is relatively safe/do-able to bring a [behaved, controlled, and alpine-experienced] dog up Mt. Daniel (SE route from Cathredral Pass/Peggy's Pond)? It looks like a fairly straightforward glacier hike and rock/ridge scramble, but I would be interested in hearing opinions from people who have been up this time of year.

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs are allowed in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness, but not in the areas around the Stuart Range (i.e., Enchantments, Ingalls areas). The official policy in the area where he is going used to be voice control, but it may be on-leash required now. I am not completely sure.

We've taken our dog up to Peggy's Pond, but not up the ridge to Daniel, so I can't help the OP on that point.

I can't say I have much experience with dogs in the alpine and what they are capable of, but I can say the route up Daniel from Peggy's Pond is quite easy and, as I recall, nothing much more than a hike. I remember crossing one short section of glacier but it wasn't very steep or broken. In my uneducated opinion, I'd think a strong dog would make it up there.