What is the best crampon bag for grivel g-12's?

olemissrebel

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really know what to say here. Maybe a little common sense:

Buy a crampon bag. Put the crampons in the bag. Put the bag that now contains the crampons in your pack. Avoid dropping your pack, the bag that contains your crampons, or your crampons themselves.

Personally, I go for the no-bag-crampons-on-the-outside-of-the-pack approach, but it sounds like this failed you. Better luck next time.

Saw something like this at Pro Mountains Sports a few years ago. Seems pretty light compared to the box type. Not sure if they still carry them.

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/grivel/crampon-bag/

Seems to make the most sense if you don't want to strap them to the outside of your pack. On the rare occasions I use them I strap them to my pack. Of course I dropped a brand new pair of Grivels coming off Eldorado a couple of years ago and was lucky they got picked up by someone in our party.

Having had multiple partners lose crampons that were "well strapped" to their packs, mine go inside if possible. Otherwise make sure a strap runs THROUGH the crampon frame so you don't lose it even if it works loose.

I made my own plastic crampon box out of a couple of 1/2 gallon milk jugs and a plastic sheet cutting board (cut the jugs in half, use both bottoms, cutting board piece for the middle joint, duct tape plus a strap to hold it together. It's lighter than the commercial ones and has held up for 5 or six years (the milk jugs are breaking down now though). Kind of hokey looking but worked great for my M-10s. The G-12s may have less volume. You could also find a scrap of neoprene or thin sleeping pad and make a crampon taco with it.

I agree with fenderfour. When I had the same epiphany, I sold my crampon bag.

Now I just use the crampon back attached to my 60L Cilogear pack. Or I use the straps and a back up biner on the 45L pack.

I stopped using the point protectors because of rust accumulation. Since the pons are secure on the outside of the pack, there is no threat of poking anything.

Another option is a backpack with crampons storage packet built in. I have DB Predator, and all my storage problems are solved. Not only for crampons but also there is a mesh for the helmet, another item which is typically pain the rear end to pack... I really like that backpack. It is light weight, super comfy... It has holders for skis, and space for plastic ice screw holders, so you have easy access to your gear when you climb technical routes with it... It seems like this is one of the few backpacks where designers were paying attention to details...