Just sayin' hello!

emperorMA

I'm new here and have just decided to get into alpine climbing after a recent Mt. St. Helens slog rekindled the passions of my youth.

I use to traipse around the Sierra Nevada growing up and I've been over 13,000' quite a few times and 14,000' a couple of times, but never on anything technical. I plan on taking an alpine course on Mt. Baker next summer and climbing Mt. Shuksan (it's so damn pretty!), soon thereafter. I'd like to get a try in on Glacier Peak, as well.

My interests lie in mostly glacier and snow climbing with some rock scrambling thrown in. I like "aesthetic" mountains and prefer a beautiful objective over a higher one. I love the looks of Glacier, Shuksan, Forbidden, etc....and would rather climb those than do a slog on Adams. If given a choice between Adams and Hood, I'd do Hood because it's prettier. :)...

I have quite a bit of gear as I'm an avid hiker and backpacker, and I should be able to get a 4-day climbing load below 40 lbs for just about anything short of Rainier. I have new hardware scoped out and have narrowed my search for boots down to the La Sportiva Nepal EVO, Mammut Mamook, Lowa Mountain Expert and Kayland Apex XT. I just need to get into the stores and try them all on to see what's going to work best.

I look forward to learning something here, and hope to bounce decisions around equipment and climbs off you folks before finalizing them. All suggestions and advice are welcome!

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the insane-asylum.:crazy: Good luck getting out of here with your mind in tact (assuming you got here in tact)...

If you make it to the west end of the Gorge, we'd be happy to give you the tour at Beacon Rock (Bacon). Personally, I think the SE Corner is one of the more aesthetic alpine-ish rock climbs near PDX.

Flame on, fellow Beatards and un-beatarded climbers, flame on.