Snowboarder help needed!

rmncwrtr

I need some snowboarding help with a story. I ski and have only snowboarded once.

I'm writing a 10K word on-line read at eHarlequin.com to promote my second Mt. Hood/mtn. rescuer book that's coming out soon. The short features two snowboarders who are the hero and heroine. One character is a graphic designer for a snowboarding manufacturing company. The other is pro, doing a guest coaching gig at a Mt. Hood snowboarding camp.

Any snowboarders out there who could answer some questions? A few things I need to know...

A jump in a terrain park at Timberline that would leave my heroine flat on her back upon landing due to over-rotation or some mistake she made, but not injury her other than a bruise or two.

I could use some help with lingo that's used so they sound like snowboarders.

If anyone has or knows someone who has attended Windells or High Cascade camp, I'd love to talk to them.

Also if there's a better forum out there to post this at, please let me know.

Thanks,

Melissa

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the story takes place in the 90s I might be able to help you out otherwise my lingo might sound dated.

You can actually land flat on your back off a well designed table top and not get hurt too badly, much like you described. Can happen from something as simple as catching the heel edge off the lip, over-rotating or rotating off axis. How good of a snowboarder is she supposed to be? World class trick, common trick or straight air?

If you come up short on a table it can bounce you onto your back. If you over-shoot a table it can buckle your knees and you'll crumple onto your back.

John - Carly is pregnant in the November sequel. So Jake has already closed the deal ;)

Halifax - the story takes place in 2010. The snowboarder used to be world class before a fall on a half-pipe prior to the 2006 Olympics. She's now healed and can ride very well, but no longer a pro on the circuit. The trick could be anything that gets her up in the air and where she'd be showboating, makes a mistake and ends up landing on her back and not her feet. I have no idea what a table is. I'll google it!

alecapone - thanks for the url. I sent her an email!

Table-tops are the standard terrain park jump. It has a ramp, a flat top and a down ramp. You have to get the right speed to clear the flat top and land on the down slope. If done right it's a very gentle landing even from a huge air. If done wrong it can really hurt.

I'm imagining her doing a pretty simple but stylish trick. Something like coming up short on a frontside 360 melon or an indy backside 180. Both usually result in catching the heel edge and slamming into the snow on your back.

To land square on her back she would probably have to catch an edge on the takeoff.

Thanks Halifax! Good description. I've seen those, just didn't know what they were called.

It doesn't have to be a square on her back landing. I just want her looking up so she'd see a gloved hand (the hero) reaching down to help her up. (He just wants her out of the way so his campers can jump.) I would like her to takeoff well and get good air, then have whatever goes wrong happen so she ends up on her backside.

I also have campers that follow. One messes up the take off and ends up in a heap. Could that be due to impatience or something rather than skills. Is that possible? Another nearly sits down on his landing. Do you know what would cause that? And a third nails it.

We used to call the first person to hit a jump the guinea pig. Based on what happens to them you can usually adjust and hit the jump right. I guess jumping the gun and going first would be a sign of impatience.

Sometimes landing a bit off balance will cause you to butt check which is basically bouncing off your butt then getting back to your feet again. Can happen if you overshoot the landing and can't handle the compression. Sometimes if you butt check you'll spin around 180 which is called a revert.

I'd go for having her come up short on a frontside 3 (short for 360) with a harmless slide down the tranny (short for transition).

The first kid could come up short and land on the flat of the table and bounce into the landing in a heap. The second could overshoot and butt check and the third nail it. Kind of a Goldilocks progression.

The down-sloping landings for most big park jumps mean you can land on your back and have a decent chance of only bruise your ego. I've landed on my back and face more than once, but not going inverted as I'm not that good. Half pipe is certainly a place for board grabs, but half pipes are generally separate from the park runs. There might be an isolated short section of quarter pipe (one side of a half pipe) and that is a good place for a grab.

Also fun for your story is the fact that there are likely to be a hoard of teenage boarders and terrain park skiers sitting above the jump watching everyone who comes down and styles or lands on their back. Add to that pumping music from speakers, super baggy pants, and you're starting to get the picture. Sorry, but I can't help with the lingo, dude.

Good luck! Sounds fun. Makes me think of this song:

Paperback writer

Paper back writer (paperback writer)

Dear Sir or Madam, will you read my book?

It took me years to write, will you take a look?

It's based on a novel by a man named Lear

And I need a job, so I want to be a paperback writer,

Paperback writer.

It's the dirty story of a dirty man

And his clinging wife doesn't understand.

The son (The Sun) is working for the Daily Mail,

It's a steady job but he wants to be a paperback writer,

Paperback writer.

Paperback writer (paperback writer)

It's a thousand pages, give or take a few,

I'll be writing more in a week or two.

I can make it longer if you like the style,

I can change it round and I want to be a paperback writer,

Paperback writer.

If you really like it you can have the rights,

It could make a million for you overnight.

If you must return it, you can send it here

But I need a break and I want to be a paperback writer,

Paperback writer.

Paperback writer (paperback writer)

Paperback writer - paperback writer

Paperback writer - paperback writer

Paper back writer (paperback writer)

Dear Sir or Madam, will you read my book?

It took me years to write, will you take a look?

It's based on a novel by a man named Lear

And I need a job, so I want to be a paperback writer,

Paperback writer.

:laf: You brought back a great memory with that song, Rad. When my first book was published, a friend who had gone through ever mechanical engineering course with me in college, sent me a Beatles CD. I had no idea why. He'd put a Post-it note on the front telling me to listen to a specific track. I did. It was that song.

Thanks for the tips on the atmosphere. I don't have a lot of word count with this short one, but if I get to do a third book in the mountain rescue series it would be fun to put something like that in.

I've been trying to remember if you can see any jumps from the lifts at Timberline. It's not something I pay attention to when up there. I'm always trying to keep an eye on my youngest. Anyone know?

Anyone know what a coach might work on with a very advanced rider, a teen who was serious about making the US snowboarding team and riding professionally.

I need something specific (and relatively easy to describe with words) that could take really make a difference in the kid's skill level and progression. Thx.

A 1080 spin has become a pretty standard trick these days. A bit more advanced would be a corked 1080 and more still would be a switch corked 1080. Corked describes an off axis spin that makes the board look like it's doing a corkscrew spin. Switch means approaching the jump riding opposite to your comfortable stance (regular coming in goofy or vice-versa).

Double corks seem to be state of the art right now.

Nobody seems to do the old stanbys of rodeo flips or 90 rolls. The last comp I watched was pretty lame because everyone was doing variations on the 1080. (S)He who spins most wins.

This is a really stupid question, but I have no idea how snowboard bindings work these days. I found step-in bindings via google, but want to make sure I'm using the right terminology.

Do you step into them? Step out of them? Kick them off?

The character in question wearing that would do this is a World Cup snowboarder if that makes any difference.