[TR] MT Baker solo - Colman Deming 7/24/2010

Khartoum Wood

Trip: MT Baker solo - Colman Deming

Date: 7/24/2010

Trip Report:

I started hiking around 8:00 getting to base camp around 10:00pm Friday night laid out my sleeping bag and bivy sack and went to bed waking up around 1:00am and left at 1:30am Saturday morning from a rock above the serac rock over look just above on the glaicer.Cutting diagonally up through many very small crevasses a bit nerve racking at times but not to bad and connected up with the boot beaten path during the night a little ways away from Colfax peak i could hear the glaicers calving off and roaring down.I stopped twice below to listen and climbed on knowing that I might have some ice fall to deal with latter I made it a little ways below Colfax peak and it broke again.my nerves shot through the roof like a rocket I could hear it just keep coming at that point my adrenaline was racing and I turned to run down just then I could hear it all slow to a stand still and decided to wait it broke again by the sound it was smaller this time i waited for about a minute or so after that and gathered my self then made a long brake for it hopped over a small crevasse and hiked fast through some dabree.Up just above Colfax peak where I met up with a group of 5 really cool people.I hung back and climbed and talked to them hiking at a mellow pace to the summit from there. there is a few bigger crevasses opening up above Colfax but its still very easy to navigate over them.

pictures on this link

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=630478#630478

Gear Notes:

Crevasses are opening up and this is my last solo most likely for the summer on MT.Baker and possibly many others for this for reason so beware.

Basic glaicer travel gear needed.

Approach Notes:

the snow on the trail and hogs back is gone and wild flowers and greenery have Returned.yahoo! no more snow shoes for a while.the glaicer is in the beginning stages of crevasses small but and very easy to navigate over

Edited by Khartoum Wood

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why can't i add photos this should not be this hard what did i do wrong i re sized them all annoying crap.
Join the club... It used to be fairly easy, but I can no longer get photos to load either. Every once in a while, I get one to load, but it has become too frustrating and too much effort to bother. You can upload to flicker or picasa, then just post the link. Not the same, but this is a free service, so what you gonna do???

• 3 months later...