Tear Off Your Tags!

Dwayner

All of this talk about REI brings to mind the fact that alot of their gear has a name or logo attached. Sponsored climbers get the gear free and/or are paid to display the name-brand. So WHY ARE WE PAYING to advertise for REI or any other company? Unless you are absolutely in love with a particular company or brand, perhaps you might want to consider cutting or concealing the manufacturer's tag off your clothing. Permanent markers and duct tape also work in certain situations. Or wear their gear and ask for a pro-deal. I'm tired of being a passive walking billboard for "the corporate man"! (Not that anyone is interested in what "Dwayner", himself, is wearing...it's the principle.)

aloha, Dwayner

P.S. In anticipation of the angrier spray-mongers:

a) I don't have the time, talent or interest to learn how to sew or otherwise manufacture my own gear to my liking.

b) It ain't the gear itself that I'm complaining about, it's the passive advertising.

c) You don't like my opinion? There is no requirement to do so. Have a nice day.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess that most of the "brand name" gear has had several years of refining and development. I am not opposed to having a label or a logo. I usually buy my gear because of it's durability, usefulness and price. I don't always buy the most expensive, or necessarily biggest brand name, but if it works it works.

Although I also think that most logos are not too bad, but the REI HUGE, rubber labels are just plain dumb. I think that an embroidered logo usually looks nice, and maybe some day I will be able to pro deal or be partially supported by one of the manufacturers(I won't hold my breath).

oh well......

I like the black fingernails look it is so 90's Goth. "Oh i love Tool and my parents So don't understand me. I wish i was a Vampire!"

Now I will get outraged PMs from Goths no doubt. Luckily its hard to climb in a black lace mumu so I wont see them at the crags.

One thing to keep in mind Dwayner. Some companys will void the lifetime warranty if the lable is colored in.

For instance, I used to work at The North Face... they would color in the lables of their factory seconds to void the warranty. So, although I agree with your opinion (for once), it might be wise to check with the company first.

Namaste,

Matt