One day, near La Grande, what to do?

ARob

So we are spending a day around La Grande on the way to Missoula. Thinking about climbing Sacajawea because I have never spent any time in the Wallowas and really want to head there for some turns next spring. I was also thinking Spring Mountain. But we are heading north on 82 from La Grande so I don't want to head further east on 84. I just want to do something fun and interesting in the area and I haven't really spent any time out there so I am looking for suggestions. Maybe a fun scramble. Maybe some mt. biking. Thanks for insights and suggestions.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spring Mtn is north of LaGrande, so it shouldn't be out of the way. Here's a link to Pogue's website, if there isn't a guidebook yet (heard Yoder was working on one)

http://people.whitman.edu/~pogue/climbing/spring_mountain_guide.html

Of course Eagle Cap is way cool.

Elkhorn Crest at Anthony Lakes has great bouldering and great hiking. I think there is Mtn biking at the ski area. It is high so it is usually cooler.

That's all that comes to mind at the moment...

I think the Anthony lakes choice would be #1, except that it's way out of your way. If it was me, I'd probably hike up the Lostine till I got tired, and just hang out in the wilderness for a day trip. Probably take my rock shoes and a day pack with lunch is all. I've never done Sac in the summer but I suspect it would be boring as hell, in the winter/spring the North side can be fawking awesome with some kick assed ice and snow with some rock pro available.

Where's all the dudes from Lagrande these days? Maybe they should check in and spray on this.

I second going up to Anthony Lakes. Lots of fun mellow multi-pitch granite. Some of it is a bit loose, but there's fun to be had.

He says from LaGrande he's going up hwy 82 towards Enterprise and NOT continuing on the freeway to Idaho, the Elkhorn detour is the other way for him then and would add well over a hundred miles wouldn't it? He's going to Montana, and theres lots of Granite he could find there that is much nicer than anything in the Elkhorns. (Boulder Batholith, Whisky Gulch)

butte-guide-sm.jpg

You really think it's worth the extra drive time to head up and back to Lagrande for him? It's not like he's heading to a slug infested wetlands devoid of good rock like if he was heading the opposite direction. LOL!

Since you're going through enterprise, why not knock off sacajawea as a day climb? Go just south out of town to hurricane creek, hike up maybe a mile or less, turn left cross the creek and hike the way trail into thorp creek basin. Then scramble up the east ridge. When you return, go to Terminal Gravity for dinner.

i will second going into the wallowas--hit sacajawea, maybe traverse down to the matterhorn and scope out ice lake from above, then head into town for awesome brew and fantastic food at terminal gravity (with a nice mountain view from their front porch). plus you said you wanted to scope out the wallowas for spring turns next year--not sure why you'd do anything otherwise.

and the wallowas are extremely beautiful, imo

It would be nice if first, you indicated where you were coming from, and secondly for people to know in which direction what is from where :)

Spring Mountain is north west of La Grande. If you are coming from the west (driving East on I-84) you will pass very near the crag (about nine miles from I-84 off the Mt. Emily Summit Road). If you want to rock climb, that is by far the most documented, easiest to reach, with highest concentration of climbs and shortest approach. Do bring your trad rack, there are tons of great cracks there, as well as very very very very very well protected sport and what should actually be mixed routes :)

Also good camping. If you did make the detour to the Anthony Lakes area, you will spend most of the time driving and hiking, not climbing, but it is a great area to check out, especially for future turns. I would recommend BC skiing in the Elkhorns before the Eagle Caps, less people, killer snow, shorter approach.

Another diversion wouuld be high valley outside Union. There are a couple great, but short routes, the best crack route being Do or Fly in my opinion. Excellent and enjoyable lead. Hit in the morning or evening, watch for rattlers.

Another more adventurous option would be to go to the Elgin wall to climb some 5.10 and up crack (pm for details if you choose such), which is also not very far off your path on the way between la Grande and Enterprise. Also the Wallowa Lake Dihedrals/Green stone is not far out of the way either for some couple pitch mixed routes, which have in all likelihood deteriorated into moss matts (can anyone confirm?) since I was there last a decade ago.

Shapp

Edited by shapp

Since you're going through enterprise, why not knock off sacajawea as a day climb? Go just south out of town to hurricane creek, hike up maybe a mile or less, turn left cross the creek and hike the way trail into thorp creek basin. Then scramble up the east ridge. When you return, go to Terminal Gravity for dinner.

steve (tg) you used to be a super-regular 'roudn here and a great patron of the cc.com spray-o-verse - how is ole'boy?

steve (tg) you used to be a super-regular 'roudn here and a great patron of the cc.com spray-o-verse - how is ole'boy?

No, steve's avatar was 'terminal gravity'. that's not me, although I can see sacajawea and the matterhorn from my house, i do consider that area my backyard.

Definitely do NOT go to Spring Mtn. Just the sight of all of those bolts, bolted cracks, bolted mixed routes, etc. would be enough to instigate a fit of retching that would leave you weak and dehydrated - then the mosquitos would swarm in and relieve you of any remaining bodily fluids - horrible place, I tell you, best just to stay away. Hike up Hurricane Creek - enjoy the views, not a bolt in sight...