C5-C6 Disc Protrusion

I was rear-ended on I-5 in March and have doing PT and saw a chiropractor, but still have numbness, tingling down my left arm and hand. According to the MRI results I got today, the extrusion at C5-C6 is compressing the exiting left C6 nerve. At least explains the symptoms I've been having, but the doc mentioned surgery and is referring me to a neurosurgeon.

Anyone have experience with this? Anything I should know or need to ask about? Thx.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bummer. No experience with cervical discs, but I had L4/L5 and L5/S1 hernias that were pretty bad. Vioxx and aggressive PT brought me back to 100%. Vioxx is off the mkt now, but a strong anti-inflammatory may be in order, but check with your doc first. Remember that you're not taking it for pain but to reduce internal inflammation that is pressing on the nerve bundle. Tingling and numbness and reduced motor function are not good signs. You need to address this to ensure you don't end up with permanent nerve damage.

Good luck.

I had an ACD (Anterior Cervical Discectomy)in August of 2006 at the C5-C6 joint.

My symptoms were so bad I had completely lost the use of my right arm, and I hadn't felt my hand or lower arm for a few months before going under the knife.

Mine was severly compressing the the nerve root exiting the right neural foramen, so much so it was grossly misshapen in the MRI. The surgeon removed the ruptured disc material then used a high-speed drill to widen the exit hole (foramen) of the nerve root to give it more room. He also knocked off quite a few bone spurs that were compressing from the opposite direction.

I woke up with about 98% of the feeling restored in my arm and hand. To this day, all I lost was just a bit of feeling in my right forefinger and thumb....this is permanent damage. I needed zero rehab and was back to work in four weeks. I also had one of the best neurosurgeons in the country take care of the issue.

If you need more info, feel free to ask.

Edited by emperorMA

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Teresa,

Thanks. I have not had surgery even though two different neurosurgeons recommended it. One a fusion, the other an artificial disc replacement. The second said if it was a choice between a fusion or doing nothing to do nothing which is the direction I was leaning prior to seeing him for a second opinion. But a disc replacement is extremely expensive, way more than my uninsured motorist coverage. Still the thought of someone operating on my spine makes my stomach churn. I'm looking into alternative, conservative treatments at the moment.

Take care,

Melissa

My experience is very similar to Rads:

I had three herniated/torn discs L5/S1, L4/L5, L3/L4. It was recommended that I try surgery right out of the gate, but I hesitated. After a lot of reading, I went with traction which made things worse in my case (went from general pain, hard to move, etc. to insane sharp stabbing pains that kept me bedridden).

In the end what worked best for me was a long extensive physical therapy regiment. It took about 6 months going 1-2 times a week, but I did eventually come back to health. I can still climb, hike, run, etc.

To this day my back still hurts from time to time, but I am hypervigilant about stretching and taking care of myself at the first sign of any back pain. Additionally, I have multiple lumbar support pads that I have to use at work, in the car, etc.

I hope you figure out what is best for you and good luck!