beacon bolting question?

pink

so i may come out to portland in september and would love to finish a few routes that i started 10 years ago, i understand i have to jump through some hoops to do so. lets say i put in some bolts but don't jump through the hoops. shall i polish up my hand basket or should i not worry about the authority behind it. :)

thanks,

andrew

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BRSPFPA!

Gecko.gif

Seems like it is fairly easy to jump through the hoops, but I've never been involved with it. I also heard or read that you can do the paperwork after the fact if the bolts/fixed pro were necessary for safety reasons. Perhaps you could go through the BRSP Climbing Plan and find out for yourself? I used to have a copy and was going to attach it, but I can't seem to locate the PDF on my PC. Justnip should have a copy though. He's the one that fwd it to me last fall/winter.

Full disclosure... Under no circumstances should my spray be relied on as fact, partial fact or truthful whatsoever. I have a limited capacity to remember facts, just ask my wife. The reader should rely on their own research and fact checking before challenging the MAN and his policies.

never seen the form or experienced the wait time to get it approved - if you're just out here for a couple days i bet it would be too big a pain in the ass though - that said, if you're on the n side and just a few feet off the ground on a crowded day you might well enounter The Man and His questions

I dunna know, what's the difference between one of you and some sport dude who decides he want's to bolt Blownout to provide a wider opportunity for all?

i guess when u say one of YOU, you are speaking on yours and ours behalf...

I dunna know, what's the difference between one of you and some sport dude who decides he want's to bolt Blownout to provide a wider opportunity for all?

seems a clear difference - who on earth thinks adding bolts to a pre-existing route is kosher?

Well, given Beacon is a trad island in a sport ocean and has seen bolt skirmishes and the installation of a number of retro sport anchors and retro bolts on what were previously aid lines, who's to say what should and should not be bolted for the sake of the PDX community?

P.S. I'd answer if I thought it was a serious question...

don't bother, i'll just call the ranger station. why wouldn't it be a serious question, chances r i won't have to install any bolts in the first place and you can TR hang dog another one of my routes like you did on this one MONKEY BOY :)DSCN0524.JPG

why wouldn't it be a serious question

Because it's coming from you maybe?

...chances r i won't have to install any bolts in the first place and you can TR hang dog another one of my routes like you did on this one MONKEY BOY :)

Yes, it was nice of you to put a rope on that one, and yep, missed the move up on it for sure.

can someone trundle some large rocks down the north face before i arrive please :)

dunno maaan - you start trundling loose blocks on most of that side and likely you'll have the summit back down to the ground by the time yer done :)