I admit, I am (mostly) Anti-Bolt

Terminal_Gravity

quote:

Originally posted by sexual chocolate:

Yeah it's easy for you guys to be all "chill" and "touchy" and shit, but you guys didn't just go through the blender, defending your art. I did.

I do what I do, and I love what I do, but it's the ignorance and scorn that you guys express that makes it hard. But I've had to deal with that my entire career, so you guys are actually quite easy.

Anyway, I would just suggest a little sensitivity when you encounter something you don't understand. Often, the things we don't understand end up being the most wonderful discoveries and gifts in our lives.

What the fu.. This is a joke right?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right on bolt bickering! I am mostly pro bolt as long as they are not wanky bolts placed next to cracks or so close together you trip over them or in dumb ass spots or too far off the stance to clip or what have you. Unfortunately many of the bolts out there fall in one of those categories. There's nothing worse than a misplaced bolt because it is a waste of rock and metal. As for so called "removable bolts" - yeah whatever. Maybe to lighten the load on wilderness wall routes but expensive to rap off of.

I don't think there's any difference between a bolt placed by hand drill or by power drill but think the latter should be kept out of wilderness, just like we try and keep jet skis out of the San Juans so kayakers etc dont get buzzed.

Like Warren Hollinger said, "In the real wilderness areas of the planet, like Baffin and the Karakoram, no one is there to care how or where you place a bolt". Its on crags five feet from a road that we should care, but we should be worried about the visual impact of the scrubbed stripe more.

As for bolts vs pins at least the pin scar is constructive to clean climbing if done right.

Any more quickly thought out incoherent ideas, post em in reply to this...

quote:

Originally posted by jblakley:

What the fu.. This is a joke right?

Yeah, its a joke to call me easy! The girls know it takes at LEAST two beers or some rohypnol to get me into bed. Compared to some guys out there that's damn tough.

Moondancing was around WAY before My Little Pony came around.

If none of you guys and gals have heard of it, I don't see the point in continuing to discuss this.

It's a dance. I already described it in a previous post. Go back and look.

Hello? A dance? Hasn't anyone around here danced before? Yes, children, dancing can be fun! (Morons.)

quote:

Plus, Lizard Brain, you were quick to critique me, so I asked you what YOU did for a living.

Hmmmm.... never got a response! That's strange....

I didn't respond because NOONE HERE GIVES A SHIT!

But you're another story, sexy. You have us all on the edges of our chairs wondering what moandancing is. The description you gave earlier was so vague it could be applied to anything from morris dancing to the hokey-pokey. C'mon, sexy, put up or shut up! You bitch and moan about us being so ignorant, and at the same time you refuse to edify us. That's why I keep thinking you're just messing with us.

[This message has been edited by lizard brain (edited 10-12-2001).]

[This message has been edited by lizard brain (edited 10-12-2001).]

Bullshit, Lizard, I CARE! That's why I asked! Damnit, what is this shit on your part? Don't evade my question!

I asked you a specific question. If you don't want to answer it, that's fine, but at least say so, man.

I don't think it's fair otherwise.

Plus, I am not a Minister. Edify yourselves. Moondancing isn't that spiritual, although it can be.

Sexy Chocolate,

I think Peter's feeling ignored, while you guys dribble, dribble, dribble over moon dances and the like. Also, you were asking about the sexual metaphors I had employed (rape, abortion, etc.), and you seemed eager to explore the deeper significance of my "negativity" and anger about bolts. Thanks but no thanks. But if you can't seem to get enough Oprah-style chat, you know she's on at night also. You should check it out.

Retro mentioned the the Bandaloop Dance Troupe....I'm curious whether anybody got a chance to see their show in Seattle last month. What a fascinating and colorful juxtaposition of the performing arts with climbing's adrenaline pumping exposure!

quote:

Originally posted by pope:

Retro mentioned the the Bandaloop Dance Troupe.... What a fascinating and colorful juxtaposition of the performing arts with climbing's adrenaline pumping exposure!

Is that what it's about? And here I was thinking it was just hottie limber ballerina style climber chicks enticing me with the ritual mating dance.

I saw bandaloop way up on El cap? somewhere...might have called it project

bag-o-poop that being the case.

All I get out of this board is entertainment. Yes, I could offer more constructive advice, but I do find bolts offensive. I apologize for pissing off a lot of people, although a minority stance against bolts isn't automatically "negative".

fuck you, charlie. I'm sick of your shit. If anyone's guilty of defamation, it's charlie.

Umm...but unfortunately, it's rather impossible to bring charges on something like that, pope, you idiot.

Come back, eric_mohler. I want to see some more "defamation". pope the dribbler deserves it.

And why the hell don't you guys come clean and post what the hell you guys do for a living, huh?

quote:

And why the hell don't you guys come clean and post what the hell you guys do for a living, huh?

Damn chocolate, if you want to know that bad just do an archive search, there was a thread a few months ago where people gave the skinny on their employment situation...

I do alot of stuff, I'm basically between a Masters and a PhD intending to teach at the post-secondary level in Park and Rec Admin. Since my bachelor's is in Civil Engineering and engineering work pays well and is fairly easy to get in the NW with a degree from a good school, I currently work in civil infrastructure projects management (primarily highways but also bridges, stormwater systems, etc) for a local municipality. It's rapidly paying off the debt I incurred while climbing full time.

Now, pony-up buddy...what's the moondancing scoop?

Impossible? Given the resources, it's quite possible. Why, choco, was that you playing charades? I don't think charades are new to you. I think you're Peter Puget. No? Why do I think this? Let's just say either of you could successfully host Oprah's show if she needed the day off.

Oh great, willstrickland, so you are pursuing your "PhD". Great.

So you think that somehow makes you better than me? Is that your insinuation? Well you can just go fuck off!!!!

Moondancing doesn't come easy, and the pay fucking sucks, if you must know. Yeah, maybe some of us have a harder time paying off our debts; harder than you do.

But did you follow your dream, hmmm? Or did you just cave in to "the man"? 'Cause I fuckin' followed my dream, man, and that's why I'm Moondancing today. And that makes the poverty worth it, dude.

So think about that as you're working at your dumb engineering job, behind your desk, wondering what the hell you did wrong.

I'll be happy, 'cause I'll be Moondancing, FOREVER.