washington pass conditions.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was on W Ridge of West Garfield Sat and a loose rock dropped on my left thumb, crushed it pretty good, compound fracture, got 4 or 5 pins in it now. I'm down for about 5 weeks. Was lucky to get back to the car, was 3,000 ft above the road, did 3 raps and 4 hours of downclimbing to get back. Will do a TR but slow typing with a big cast.

Was on W Ridge of West Garfield Sat and a loose rock dropped on my left thumb, crushed it pretty good, compound fracture, got 4 or 5 pins in it now. I'm down for about 5 weeks. Was lucky to get back to the car, was 3,000 ft above the road, did 3 raps and 4 hours of downclimbing to get back. Will do a TR but slow typing with a big cast.

Glad it worked out..sortof.

How are the skeeters around WA Pass/Mazama these days?

Weren't too bad on weekend of 7/17. Down closer to the valley they were all really small still - like just hatched because of later snow or something. They for sure weren't as bad as they have been in the last couple of early Julys. I bet they get bad in the next week or so!

How are the skeeters around WA Pass/Mazama these days?
They are bad when you are stopped on the trail but if you keep moving or there's some wind it's okay. Def want a screen on your bivy if your camping. Or drive down past the hairpin to the next campground, there's none there because there's no water nearby. But it might be different this year because of all the snow.

Glad it worked out..sortof.

Yeah, it could have been a lot worse, could have been knocked off by the rock, would have been dead, it was some big exposure up on the ridge. Held on with my left hand and pushed the rock off to the side with my right. Only problem was couldn't let go with my left and that's where the rock hit. FFing scary looking at the injury and then there was no cell reception, like it tried but wouldn't connect.