[TR] Ptarmigan Ridge, Mt. Rainier - 7/18/2010

Steph_Abegg

Trip: Ptarmigan Ridge, Mt. Rainier -

Date: 7/18/2010

Trip Report:

Jason Schilling and I had such fun and great conditions on Liberty Ridge on July 9-11 that we decided to climb Ptarmigan Ridge this last weekend (July 16-18). Ptarmigan Ridge is another north-side route that is often considered along with Liberty Ridge as one of Rainier's "best" routes.

Steve Trent joined Jason and I for the climb of Ptarmigan Ridge. This was the first climb the three of us had done together since the previous year's accident on Mt. Terror. We decided to approach Ptarmigan Ridge via White River to avoid a car plant, and also so we could enjoy the spectacular camp on Curtis Ridge. The second day we ascended to the equally spectacular high camp on Ptarmigan Ridge, which sits underneath the towering ice cliff of the end of the Liberty Cap Glacier.

We had ideal snow conditions and weather on Ptarmigan Ridge, and we all highly enjoyed the route and each other's company. The verdict: Both Ptarmigan Ridge and Liberty Ridge are stellar routes — Ptarmigan Ridge offers a more challenging and varied climbing experience, while Liberty Ridge boasts a classic route line and ridgeline position.

As usual, I've posted a full trip report with LOTS of photos on my website:

http://sites.google.com/site/stephabegg/home/tripreports/washington/northcascades/rainierptarmiganridge

IMG_4675route.jpgIMG_1343.jpgIMG_13731.jpgIMG_4521.jpgIMG_4769.jpgIMG_4659.jpg

Again, the link to my full trip report on my website:

http://sites.google.com/site/stephabegg/home/tripreports/washington/northcascades/rainierptarmiganridge

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The real question Steph is when are you going to climb Curtis? The trifecta awaits! :grlaf::)

3 in a row would be kind of cool...it was pretty cool to be able to compare Liberty and Ptarmigan Ridges under close conditions, and adding Curtis would cover another north side ridge....

But I think I am all Rainier'ed out for awhile! I want some rock, splitter cracks and cams sound pretty good right now!

Edited by Steph_Abegg