The Newbie Salute

Lambone

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just out of curiosity, when did we start calling the beginning climber a “newbie?” First time I heard the expression was during the start of the movie Vertical Limit (have you ever laughed so hard??). Of course, I thought the term was pure Hollywood. Now I hear it in common usage. In the old days they were simply called beginners or novice climbers.

Not that it matters, but did we gain something by changing the term?

Yes we did. We gained a sense of superiority and competence to help us gloss over the fact that being a skilled and experienced climber has very little if any importance or relevence whatsoever.

Sorry if I offend but climbing is a deeply personal activity and I feel that it does absolutely nothing to improve anything but the psyche of the individual climber. When I challenge myself and succeed I feel strong, I feel good about myself. That does not make me better in comparison to anyone else. Perhaps the actual method I choose to challenge myself makes me a bit suspect?

A little too philosophical for this early in the morning but the weather looks good, I have Friday as well as Monday off and I plan to do some climbing!!!

They are cute Lambone, I just ain't too crazy about the whole "newbie" concept. Nothing good ever seems to come from classifying people, especially those with less skill in a single, specific arena. It does not take a brain surgeon to learn how to climb well!! Some say the only requirement to becoming a skilled climber is a significant lack of brain power........

You all sound like a bunch of fucking dinks. Annoying. I think a better word than "newbie" is CHERRY. Cherries!

Hey Sargent Rock. Did you know that a sarge is a fish that eats shit off the bottom of the ocean? That's one of the first things the friendly ol' drill sergeant beats into your brain during recruit training. Did you know Sergeant is spelled Sergeant?

Going climbing. Later Internet Pussies!

I wouldn't call myself a newbie or so much a veteran climber, so being in the middle I have something to say about all this.

Being a newbie is great. You get to learn much and the first times on rock, first leads, first falls, first times seeing hot girls climbing 5.12s are the best ever. Nothing beats this purity. You first climb because your buddy needs a belayer and than your hooked and that is all your mind can focus on.

Its these great times as newbies that make us strive to do it again and again. Its like having sex or taking acid. The first times you do it, you want to do it again and again to reach that rush again.

Go newbies, enjoy your virginity and your love for climbing before you learn what a scene climbers are involved in.

Trad vs sport vs bouldering...blah blah blah

climb to climb, newbies don't care

There is never a lack for someone to beat the drum around here.

Lambone,

Have you thought about "sensitivity training"?

Johnny,

Have you thought about not being so sensitive?

I am nauseated. I have to get out of here to eat some raw meat and sacrifice a few virgins.

[This message has been edited by Retrosaurus (edited 08-30-2001).]

quote:

Originally posted by The Antagonizer:

You all sound like a bunch of fucking dinks. Annoying. I think a better word than "newbie" is CHERRY. Cherries!

Hey Sargent Rock. Did you know that a sarge is a fish that eats shit off the bottom of the ocean? That's one of the first things the friendly ol' drill sergeant beats into your brain during recruit training. Did you know Sergeant is spelled Sergeant?

Going climbing. Later Internet Pussies!

Dude if you want to live up to that alias you gave yourself you'll have to do better than that. Pigeon farts released in the upper atmosphere do more to antagonize than your thin witted verbal quiffs. C'mon dude step up to the plate. What are you afraid of?

I think newbie's originally an internet term that's crossed over into internet climbing forums, but you don't really hear climbers in the outdoors referring to other climbers as newbies. Beginners, first-timers, suckers, or fresh meat are more commonly used terms.

SHOCKED.gif In every indivual or team sport/endearvor there are numerous terms for those new folks. Ever try out for the football, soccer, or baseball teams? How many equipment bags and water jugs have I had to carry? Try a hand at Kayaking or sailing, no bleeding hearts there.

Rookies, gumbies, newbies are all terms of endearment and rite of passage. I'm grateful to my mentors for calling me these names because it kept my ego and attitude in check and to always remember that there is something new to learn no matter what grade or how much experience I attain. So if it ruffles someone's feathers so be it, I won't apologize, because the meanings are not condesending. Thick skin breads an iron will for long dicey runouts.

Mr. Iambone....come on over here and sit on ole Uncle Dwayner's lap and let him tell you a story. Yup, ole Uncle Dwayner's been climbin for 28 years now AND HAS NEVER HEARD THE WORD "NEWBIE" USED TO DESCRIBE A NOVICE CLIMBER UNTIL HE SAW IT PRESENTED RIGHT HERE!

So if there is a history to that word;

a) I somehow missed out on this wonderful new piece of us and them jargon, or:

b) it's relatively new;

c) or it's making the rounds in the sporty/gym world.

d) it's extremely provincial;

e) a combination of the above.

Anyway, it's a ridiculous word. It sounds stupid if not insulting and "novice" works just fine.

O.K., Mr. Iambone, you can get off my lap now, you're makin' me a little nervous.

aloha, Dwayner

P.S. Post your gym hours. Me 'n pope are going to go down there and show you some dynamic back-stepping sit starts.

Dwayner,

Thanks old pal, but keep in mind that I didn't come up with this silly little term. Our beloved cc.com forefathers did, hence the Newbie board. I just enjoy mocking stupid lingo. Pimp the crimp and slap the slope bro. You got to come check out my new sick testpiece in the cave! www.verticalworld.com (Not a plug, you asked!)

At the gym we only classify people as super burly or merely human smile.gif It's easy to tell the diference.

Newbies look at Climbing in a way which those who are experienced will never see it again...as NEW. Its exiteing, I dig their energy.

When they smile that is smile.gif

And don't back into your car at the crag frown.gif

[This message has been edited by lambone (edited 08-30-2001).]