What is this piece of gear?

Alpinfox

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Mr Fox, if you compare the pic wdeitsch linked to the one where you have it threaded, it looks like you may have yours threaded backwards?

Yeah, I have mine rigged "incorrectly" according to wdietsch's pic.

They way I have it rigged, it acts like an autolocking munter.

Apparently Kong recommends using this device with a 9mm dynamic rope. In my pic I'm using ~5mm cord.

I tried rigging it the "proper" way with my 5mm cord and a slightly misdirected pull results in the hitch slipping to the end of the rope. The way I have it rigged it locks down much better (with the small cord anyway) but is a little more tricky to extend.

Interesting that, as JosephH says, the Slyde can be used as a load-limiting device. Google search revealed this diagram from an accident report involving someone using the slyde in a load-limiting self-belay anchor setup:

ivyar18a.gif

Note that THE ACCIDENT resulted not from a problem with the Kong Slyde, but from the use of a toothed ascender device (Petzl Croll) to connect the lead climber/caver to the lead rope (obvious no-no). The climber was also leading on a static rope.

Despite the fact that the description comes from an accident report, it seems to be a clever rig for limiting forces on rope solo leads. Rope diameter and sheath "slipperiness" are obviously going to be very important variables in determining at what force the device slips. The Kong website doesn't have much in the way of technical info about the device.