Northwest Mountaineering Journal, 2010

Lowell_Skoog

101_Bivouacs_Hozomeen_Lg.jpg

Northwest Mountaineering Journal, 2010 - Preview and request for help

The release of the Northwest Mountaineering Journal will be handled differently this year than in the past. Instead of waiting until the journal is finished, we'll be announcing portions of Issue 7 as soon as they are ready. This will make the journal more timely, and we hope will generate additional support.

Today I'm posting three feature articles:

Lincoln and the Assassin by Tom Sjolseth

High Bivouacs by Kevin Thurner

Receding Glaciers, Receding Climbs by Steph Abegg

We're working on at least a half-dozen more features, as well as dozens of short reports. The NWMJ editors are looking forward to publishing these stories in the weeks ahead.

But here's the catch...

SEEKING VOLUNTEER(s)! - Web co-designers/co-editors

The Northwest Mountaineering Journal is published by volunteers from the mountaineering community.

During the first few years of the journal, Steve Firebaugh did a masterful job establishing the NWMJ web design. The American Alpine Club E-News has called the NWMJ "One of the most beautiful electronic publications on the Internet."

Steve moved away from Seattle last year and has been unable to continue in his previous capacity. So I've taken over his role. I designed most of last year's journal and I'm committed to getting this year's journal finished, no matter how long it takes.

I enjoy designing NWMJ articles, but with the growing demands of my day job, my time is limited and my progress is too slow. I'd like to find someone to share the web design task with me. As a volunteer co-designer/co-editor, you would help maintain the high standard that the NWMJ has become known for. Without help, I don't think I can sustain the journal in its current form. I simply don't have enough time. With help, I know we can do it.

Can you help? The task requires basic HTML and photo editing skills, plus an eagerness to develop your mountaineering journalism skills. If you'd like to contribute, contact me:

lowell.skoog AT alpenglow.org

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Bump. Who out there enjoys reading NWMJ articles and drooling over the fantastic photos? It doesn't just materialize out of thin air every year. The journal needs your help! Please consider volunteering some of your time and passion to keep it going strong.

OPDickert-McMillan-Spires.jpg

I've posted three more feature articles for the 2010 Northwest Mountaineering Journal:

Four Nights at the Terror Hilton by Jason Schilling

North Cascades National Park Report by Cori Conner

Mount Rainier National Park Report by Stefan Lofgren, David Gottlieb, and Tom Payne

I've also created a contents page for Issue 7. This page is still under construction:

http://mountaineers.org/NWMJ/10/issue7.html

We have several more feature articles in the works, as well as dozens of short reports. At this point, the web layout and final editing process is about half done.

Following completion of Issue 7 (2010), I will be stepping down as lead editor of the Northwest Mountaineering Journal. I have enjoyed working on the journal and I'm proud of the contribution it has made to the Northwest mountaineering community. I've been working as a part-time consultant for the past several years, and I'm transitioning back toward full-time employment. Given the increased demands of my day-job, I recognize that continuing to work on the NWMJ is going to starve my other projects, goals that pre-date my involvement with the NWMJ. So, I'm going to focus my more-limited free time on those other projects instead.

When I founded the NWMJ in 2004, I hoped it would be possible to create a publication process that could be sustained by other volunteers after I moved on. I still think that's possible, but it requires somebody who's really passionate about the project. Producing a high-quality publication like NWMJ is a lot of work. There are no shortcuts. If anyone would like pick up the NWMJ torch, I would be happy to assist. But I won't be leading the effort anymore, at least for a while.

I hope you enjoy the articles we've prepared so far. Watch for more announcements as we complete publication of NWMJ Issue 7.

• 1 month later...

101_Shorts_FullTilt_cover_Lg.jpg

Issue 7 Short Reports Published

http://www.mountaineers.org/nwmj/10/101_Shorts1.html

The NWMJ editorial team is continuing to work on Issue 7 (2010). We have now published short reports for the period from April 1, 2009 to March 31, 2010. This year we have 40 reports, which showcase the beauty and variety of mountaineering in the Northwest today. The reports include more than 60 photographs and route diagrams. Compiling this material represents many hours of work by the NWMJ editorial team.

NWMJ Issue 7 is still under construction. We have several more feature articles that we hope to finish in the next few weeks. Stay tuned...

• 2 weeks later...

101_Foreword_cover_Lg.jpg

NWMJ Issue 7 (2010) Complete

The 2010 issue of the Northwest Mountaineering Journal is now finished and available on line. As usual, the shortest route to the journal is through the NWMJ domain:

http://www.nwmj.org

The following pages have been added to complete this issue:

Foreword by Lowell Skoog

Climber 9-1-1: Should mobile communication devices be mandatory? by Rad Roberts

Raining Down Thunder on Skis: Spring avalanche control at Chinook Pass by John Stimberis

A Summer Lived Backwards: Recollections of a climbing ranger by Jeff Clark

A Scream in the Night: Pondering fear and a mountain mystery by Malcolm Bates

List of NWMJ contributors

We've also put together indexes of feature articles and short reports that have been published in NWMJ over the years. The short reports (over 250 of them) are an especially impressive list, and show how active Northwest mountaineers have been during the "Golden Age" we have enjoyed in the early 2000s.

This will be the last year I edit the NWMJ. I've found that the time I've been putting into the journal each year has grown steadily, and it has squeezed out other important goals in my life. I need to refocus on those goals.

Time will tell whether others in the Northwest mountaineering community step forward to keep the journal going. I've been in touch with a few people who are interested, and I'll be happy to offer my advice and encouragement. But on a day-to-day basis, I'll be stepping away. I'd like to extend my thanks to the volunteers and contributors who have made publishing the NWMJ possible.

2010 NWMJ Editorial Team:

Rad Roberts

Lowell Skoog, lead editor

Steve Smith

Jessica Todd

Curt Veldhuisen