[TR] Enchantments Tour - Various Walk-Ups, C2C 7/

zoroastr

Trip: Enchantments Tour - Various Walk-Ups, C2C

Date: 7/5/2010

Trip Report:

Last week, EJohnson and I had planned to repeat our C2C climb of Sherpa Peak's N.E. Couloir. During the drive to Leavenworth last Monday, however, I managed to talk Erick out of the Sherpa route which in my view offers a less than favorable suffering-to-payoff ratio. For various reasons, I just didn't feel up to lugging rope n' rack over that hideous approach again...maybe later in the season. Instead, we decided on a relaxed tour of the Upper Enchantments, including visits to the summits of Witches Tower, Dragontail, and the connecting ridge to Colchuck Pk. On the way, we had the chance to observe more committed climbers as they tackled one of D-Tail's technical routes. A few snaps...

One of the area's notorious "urinophiles..."

chantz-f.jpg

The Upper 'Chants are still buried, but the snowpack makes for a lightning-fast ascent to Aasgard Pass and quick access to the goodies beyond, including a number of still-frosty lakelets. On this occasion, meltwater ponds were quite handy since, in my zeal to shed unnecessary packables, I forgot to bring a bottle for water. No prob...take a big gulp of meltwater, go tag a peak, come back down, repeat...

chantz-i.jpg

Johnson strolling up the "crux" of wheelchair-accessible Witches Tower; once you turn this corner, there ain't a move beyond class 3.

chantz-o.jpg

Prusik from the summit of Witches Tower, including what appears to be an interesting effect of the reflected sunlight above the peak.

chantz-p.jpg

...and a close-up:

chantz-q.jpg

Climbers on one of Dragontail's face routes. These two were being brought up by their belayer, already on the ridge crest.

chantz-v.jpg

As promised earlier in the week, here's a tiny chunk out of one of EJohnson's amazing zoom shots. He's got a camera with ridiculous resolution specs...

P1010304s.JPG

Same party, not so close.

chantz-u.jpg

Back down, drinking up, just prior to departing for Dragontail (out of sequence, sorry)...

chantz-t.jpg

Witches Tower from near the summit of Dragontail.

chantz-x.jpg

The connecting ridge between D-Tail and Colchuck is studded with interesting features, including this tower, which Johnson scrambled while waiting for me to catch up after donning crampons, something Ejay almost never feels the need to do (weirdo!).

chantz-y.jpg

It took exactly 16 minutes to reach the lake from Colchuck Col., the boot-ski runs were that good!

...A fine day in the hills.

chantz-z1.jpg

Approach Notes:

boots

'pons (maybe)

slope-poker

Edited by zoroastr

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Zoroastr, great report & pictures, and thanks for posting those shots of us! Not often do you get pictures of climbers from that perspective! The route was Backbone Ridge with Fin Direct (the "correct" way, which doesn't get much traffic these days given the confusing guidebook descriptions/topos out there), and the climbers shown were Steph Kang and Marshall Balick. I was the unseen belayer.

Ah...great! I'm sure Erick got much better shots than I, since he has a very high-res camera that takes unbelievable zooms, and mine's just a crummy lil' point-n-click. When he sends them to me, I'll throw a couple on this page, and PM you.

Congrats on your climb!

Ah...great! I'm sure Erick got much better shots than I, since he has a very high-res camera that takes unbelievable zooms, and mine's just a crummy lil' point-n-click. When he sends them to me, I'll throw a couple on this page, and PM you.

Congrats on your climb!

Thanks, that would be fantastic!

robertjoy...

you should have no problem finding dry camp spots and plenty of water. the upper lakes are melting out, and conditions should be even better in the lowers. It's probably a great time to camp, before the larger crowds descend on the place. Enjoy!

My camera is a little Cannon 3.5 MP Powershot. I also do some enhancing under Linux using a tiny, open-source application called MtPaint. I have avoided springing for a "real" camera because I don't want to lug a full-sized DSLR into the hills. I know this is limiting, but I already have too many hobbies. :0)