Alpine Route Suggestions

jimmythegoon

I just started alpine climbing this year and I'm looking for some good, moderately challenging routes that could be done in a weekend (starting from Seattle).

I'm comfortably leading 5.8 (but no offwidth experience) and would like to start venturing into 5.9 territory. The only routes I've done so far are the west ridge of sherpa, north face of burgundy, and sw rib of sews.

What are some of your favorites/suggestions in the 5.7-5.9 range?

Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with Denalidave...Prusik West Ridge is one of the best moderate alpine rock climbs in the state. You might also look at (as Summitchaser said) Liberty Bell (Beckey Route), Ingalls Peak, Stuart West Ridge, Dorado Needle, and Dragontail's Serpentine arete. These have been among my favorites for decent rock, great views, and moderate difficulty.img798_2_.jpg

The Liberty Bell Group traverse. Start on the Beckey route of Liberty Bell, then onto the north face (or cave route) on concord, the north face of lexington, the chockstone on n.e.w.s., and finish up on the south arete or SW buttress of south early.

I've never climbed the chockstone route on NEWS - thought I've descended it 3-4 times. How is it?

The last part of the descent (over the chockstone) is on part of the route. The upper part is at the head of the gully. A few scarey-loose sections but overall easy climbing.