[TR] Mount Rainier - Furher Finger 6/27/2010

ScaredSilly

Trip: Mount Rainier - Furher Finger

Date: 6/27/2010

Trip Report:

Because the rangers are not posting info to the blog this post is more of route conditions report than a trip report.

For the first time in over a dozen trips to Rainier I did not use a rope for the climb up. What does that say? The conditions on the route were great. The Nisqually had no cracks showing on the crossing from Panorama Point over to the Wilson.

The Finger was in great shape with excellent nevé. Still the usual bowling for climbers but fortunately only grapefruit size ice chunks and rocks. The upper Nisqually was also in great shape with a only a few cracks to skirt around. Those skiing the Finger were having a field day.

Our summit day was quite windy and with some clouds at 14k. We went up and over and down the Ingraham. Which also a first for me, that is descending the Ingraham Direct rather than coming down the Cleaver. Though late in the afternoon that slope is spoky with slide potential.

It has been a long time since I have seen the Finger in such great shape so late in the year. If you catch it now with the freezing levels down around 9-10k you will be styling.

After that we headed off to Mount Adams (Pinnacle Headwall) and Mount Hood (North Face)

Gear Notes:

Single tool and a rope.

Approach Notes:

Start at Paradise and go long.

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days