Paragliding

BillA

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clue me in, too. I've been wanting to try that for about 10 years now. Just haven't gotten around to researching it much.

Now that I'm single again, I have the time and $$$ to give it a go. I just want to start with the tandem thing to see how I like it.

I actually went to a paragliding school based out of Ellensburg, WA. My ultimate goal was to be able to use a device called a "Pago Jet" used in conjunction with a paraglider....it's basically a big propeller pack that you wear that will allow you to launch from nearly anywhere and control your speed and destination. I wanted to used it for desert exploration...fly across the sand rather than trudging or driving through it.

I went to the school with a buddy of mine who was really nervous about climbing. It turned out that paragliding scared the heck out of me and he loved it, and now has a commercial pilot's license and works with the civil air patrol. I had a couple of scary flights, including an asymetrical collapse of my wing that sent me slamming into a hillside (even after I recovered from my spiral), but there were some things I did like, such as the fact that it's the simplest form of flight you'll probably ever experience, you essentially have a parachute over your head the whole time, and it's quiet and amazing and feels like you're floating on air....cuz you are!

But...there is a serious learning curve if you want to do anything more than short flights off of small hills. The gear is also expensive....a new set-up will probably cost you 3 - 5 thousand dollars. I suggest you take an introductory course or flight (even "tandem" with an instructor) and see if it intrigues you or scares you. It definitely scared me but I might just give it another try someday!

I wanted to try, too, but haven't pursued it since a good friend, also a climber, died 6 years ago about the Fourth of July in an accident during the US paragliding nationals out of Chelan. Several other friends, also climbers, paraglide and love it. Another source for info including instructors is the USHPA: http://www.ushpa.aero/instructors_map.asp

It's a great sport, and I'm not sure if the risks are any greater than what we take in our various types of climbing. It certainly complements climbing well. Best wishes, Bill, on your pursuit of it. You too, Sobo and OMB! :tup:

Although I didn't know him well, I used to work with an excellent climber named Jeff Splitgerber when we both were both mountain guides with Jim Donini's Leavenworth Alpine Guides. Jeff was a pioneer of paragliding and met his end that way. (See the link below.)

Early Paragliding

Fortunately, the equipment is much, much safer now and you can even buy an emergency BASE-jumping-like chute to back you up should things go really wrong. But Jeff's demise is probably what put some fear into me. R.I.P. Jeff Splitgerber.

Thanks, Don. I knew that at one time there was an outfit operating out of E-burg (it's always so f'n windy there), but I don't think that they're in business anymore. A google search takes one to a link that hasn't been updated since 1999, which is when I first got interested in this form of transport/fun. More research is warranted...

Wow, I read the link you provided. RIP Jeff Splitbgerber. And also the article linked at the end of the article by Bruce Tracy that leads to his remembrance, written by our very own Lowell Skoog. Sounds like Jeff and Bruce were top tier human beings.

RIP both - ride the wind forever, gentlemen.

Bill sorry not much help past what I will relate to Sobo.

Sobo..try a search under Tiger mtn, Issaquah. A number of companies work out of there. All do tandems. How are you with motion sickness? A lot safer now with the better wings than in the old days. The "old days" ('70s-'80s) pretty much decimated a generation of young climbers.

great place to start..

http://www.seattleparagliding.com/

http://www.tigermountainparagliding.com/AboutTiger.html'>http://www.tigermountainparagliding.com/AboutTiger.html

http://www.tigermountainparagliding.com/

Man that looks FUN! Reminds me of how it feels to fly in my dreams.

You do that, too, Sherri? I am always having dreams where self-propelled flying (and also falling from great heights and recovering before the splat) are the recurring theme. That's why I think those wingsuits are so :rocken:

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4U6T_BB1N8&feature=related

Sobo..try a search under Tiger mtn, Issaquah.

Hey, Dane, thanks! I came across them in my googling, but didn't have any background beta on them.

Do you know those guys at all? Reputable and safe?

And no worries about motion sickness. I :heart: rollercoasters and amusement park rides, but I can't read in the back seat of a moving car. Did skydiving BITD, and have also tandemed a couple times in a hang glider. Paragliding just seems like more fun, so I wanna give it a go.

Man that looks FUN! Reminds me of how it feels to fly in my dreams.

You do that, too, Sherri? I am always having dreams where self-propelled flying (and also falling from great heights and recovering before the splat) are the recurring theme. That's why I think those wingsuits are so :rocken:

Exactly! I love those dreams, they feel so real...would be awesome to experience that sensation and be awake. I can also breath underwater in my dreams.

Keep us posted when/if you get into the paragliding, Sobo. Would love to hear about it!

I solo'ed back in the day. When I first moved over here I flew a couple of times with Seattle Paragliding. Launch site is just down the road.

Safe? Good record by Seattleparagliding and the rest over here. One of the reasons I think is the lauch site and landing area are very well done for the novice. (read I didn't fuck it up yet) They also have Nationals here and major events on a regualr basis. But kinda like soloing, you either live or things go really bad :)

In the grand scheme of things it is a "cheap" sport. Go to a place like Tiger to learn. You'll want to be riding thermals to stay aloft even on your early flights. That will quickly tell you if you want more. I've done it but I'm no pilot and know it.

This is right after lauch on my last flight at Tiger. We are holding elevation in a strong onshore flow.

abh.sized.jpg

Envy? You shouldn't.

Sitting in an on shore flow is BORING. Doing down hill rides can be fun if you live through the launch. Catching thermals and going places is very, very cool.

Sadly catching thermals does this to me :) Which would be ok if it didn't last for DAYs! Good luck Sobo and try to enjoy yourself!

vomit.jpg

See how little i know about this? :crazy: I think just being up in the air is fuq'n cool.

Yup, I'm white, single, and debt-free now. Gotta lot of catchin' up to do for these past few years of serfdom.

I will start enjoying life again... :)

I thought the shizzle about paragliding was the launching off of summits and landing near the car. A means of descent vs the activity itself. I saw a guy launch from the upper curtis on shuksan and land in the ski area parking lot. My brief foray into paragliding revealed I lack that kind of commitment, to go off a cliff with no chance of turning back.

I had my paraglider (bought used which was a problem) set up above a cliff on a granite dome in the southeast. Sat there all harnessed up for a while before realizing that I couldn't run down the slab and off a cliff. I give a big thumbs up to anyone who can pull that stuff off. grassy hills are one thing. jumping and running off cliffs is something else.