Say what? Missing climber on Rainer

t_rutl

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"His companions stopped to rest, and when they pulled in the rope to regroup they discovered that Lewis had unclipped from the rope and was no longer with them, said Lee Taylor of the National Park Service."

That's an add one but hope they find him and soon.

MOUNT RAINIER, Wash. - A search is under way for a climber missing near the Mount Rainier summit since Thursday afternoon.

Eric Lewis, 57, of Duvall was on a steep slope, ascending the Gibraltar Ledges Route in near-whiteout conditions with two climbing companions when he disappeared.

His companions stopped to rest, and when they pulled in the rope to regroup they discovered that Lewis had unclipped from the rope and was no longer with them, said Lee Taylor of the National Park Service.

They immediately established anchors in the snow and swept the length of the rope across the slope below them, but were unable to find their climbing partner.

The two climbers returned to Camp Muir at 10,200 feet, and rangers launched a search for the missing climber. The rangers ascended to the summit late Thursday afternoon, but found no signs of Lewis.

Search efforts expanded Friday, with park climbing rangers and commercial climbing guides from Rainier Mountaineering, Alpine Ascents, and International Mountain Guides joining the search, Taylor said.

Two helicopters have also been called in - a Chinook from Joint Base Lewis-McChord and an MD-530 with Northwest Helicopters in Olympia. The weather is overcast, with a heavy cloud layer at 8,000 feet.

Searchers have located Lewis' backpack, with his climbing harness and shovel inside, at 13,600 feet. A snow cave was found at 13,800 feet. It appears Lewis still has his ice ax and crampons with him.

Taylor said Lewis' chances of survival appear to be fairly good.

"The fact that there is a snow cave ... shows that he probably sought some shelter and got some rest," Taylor said. "Our assumption at this point as that he is still trying to make his way down."

Lewis does not have an emergency beacon or other GPS device that might help rescuers locate him, she added.

"We have a dozen skilled climbers on the mountain, and at least 20 others providing other types of support," said search Incident Commander Glenn Kessler. "We're doing everything we can to find him and get him down safely."

And the article is followed by the typical bullshit ignoramuses making comments about their lazy, couch-bound asses "having to pay for the rescue of the stupid" with their hard-earned taxes (posted by Burp). Give me a fuq'n BREAK!!! :rolleyes:

And the one asshole (HabaneroGuy) who suggests suicide or summit fever as the motive for unclipping? Has no one here on this board ever unclipped to take a dump while en route to the summit? I, for one, have. Imagine for a moment how Mr. Lewis might have felt as he was squeezing out a big one, a few feet from where he unclipped, only to see his rope and biner disappear up the hill in a white-out without him. I think I would also follow the rope up the hill looking for the end of it when I finished my business, probably hollering for my friends at the same time, too. It's too bad that Mr. Lewis missed his partners in that search. But at least he was smart enough to have dug in and waited it out for a while, and is now apparently attempting to head back down.

:tdown: :tdown: on these haters that never get their lard-asses off the fuq'n couch, and analyze the misfortunes of others from the safety of their living room armchairs. :provoke:

I occasionally read the comments but end up getting so angry I want to smash my computer.

There was a story last year about a woman found at the side of the road unconscious. The apparent victim of a hit and run. I found out much later she survived and was going through very extensive rehab. She had been a regular bike commuter, athlete and was apparently some sort of researcher. All that was compromised by some driver that couldn't be bothered to stop and help. Anyway, the comment section was packed with vitriol about arrogant/selfish cyclists. Made me ill and angry.

I occasionally read the comments but end up getting so angry I want to smash my computer.

I got so mad this time that I actually signed up and posted several comments back at the assclowns. You'll know which one is me... :/

And indeed, best wishes for Mr. Lewis and the rangers/rescuers.

Nice post Sobo. Now you can go after the idiot whining about the use of Chinook helicopters I'm too lazy to create an account.
Done!

Another guy (18Bfive) beat me to it, but I backed him up. I even linked to the MRA's position paper on the real cost of, and not charging for, mountain rescues in national parks. Maybe that'll make some of those asshats STFU for once, assuming they can read. :rolleyes:

I clicked on the article again to catch the link at the article you posted (Excellent, btw). I tried to not read the comments, but I couldn't help it. Couldn't help being angry, and couldn't help feeling vindicated by your posts.

Way to go, sobo

Just saw on the K5 news that he and his party had been ascending the Gibraltar Ledges Route and that he was an experienced climber. All his gear was found. This does not sound good! Hopefully the high pressure weather will kick in tomorrow and lead him being found safely.

Also, those posts on komo are ridiculous, thank you to you who posted in reply.

Just saw on the K5 news that he and his party had been ascending the Gibraltar Ledges Route and that he was an experienced climber. All his gear was found. This does not sound good! Hopefully the high pressure weather will kick in tomorrow and lead him being found safely.

Also, those posts on komo are ridiculous, thank you to you who posted in reply.

The vast majority of posters on Komo are ignorant. Just reading the comments on their is enough to give a healthy individual a heart attack.

Any recent news on this? Eric was my close friends Uncle...

I placed a call to MRNP's SAR Hotline this morning, and picked up the following tidbits from Leigh Taylor's (Park Information Officer) recorded message:

As of 1845 hours, Saturday, July 3, the search for 57-year-old Eric Lewis of Duvall, WA, has been concluded (the message states that this message is the "final update" to the search) with no further clues as to his whereabouts and/or disposition. Helos and ground searchers from the Park, some of the guide services, and Olympic Mountain Rescue scoured the Nisqually Icefall and Gibraltar Chutes areas, as well as the party's climbing route. The search has been "scaled back substantially" to normal climbing ranger patrols. Ms. Taylor concluded her message by saying that the Park's Incident Commander feels confident that their search would have found him "if he were on the surface", which suggests to me he ended up in a crevasse.

His partners were interviewed by the rangers, and more details can be found by calling the MRNP SAR Hotline at 360-569-2211 and selecting "9" then "2" from the menu for search operations. The message is 4 minutes long.

My condolences to his family and friends, as this one appears to have ended sadly.