Backpackers Supply Going Out of Business

dbconlin

Well the good news is they are having a sale...discounts on their mediocre selection of clothing, packs, climbing gear, etc.

The bad news is that there is now nowhere in the Tacoma area to get backcountry gear. REI has a limited selection of climbing and backpacking equipment, but no ski gear.

Anyone know of a good b/c ski shop relatively close?

I am not surprised this is happening - all the good stuff always went to the Bellevue store and Marmot/BS Tacoma always had a very limited selection. I almost never found anything I wanted to buy there when I went. There were hardly ever any customers there either. Their location absolutely sucked. But their ski techs were good and you could special order anything that the Bellevue store carried.

C'est La Vie.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big internet retailers like backcountry.com etc, really hurt local shops. I could walk out my front door and have at least 15 places that I could buy a pair of rock shoes and an ice screw (other than REI) within a 45 minute drive. Now that number is down to 7 or so (excluding REI).

the backpackers store has quite a legacy in Tacoma. They used to be called Base Camp down in Nalley Valley back in 1976. Joe and his son sold out to Marmot in the nineties. When REI showed up the writing was on the wall.

Still, Backpackers was the place to go when you needed something specialized. REI tends to carry things that are an easy sell, but Backpackers had the exotic stuff, like Aliens, the Cinch, off brand nuts and cams. I guess I was part of this because I did buy a lot at REI for the return policy.

But last winter when we upgraded our 3pin ski gear, the wife and I spent 3 grand at Backpackers...stupid REI doesn't carry tele gear.

I'm sorry to see them go. There were always nice people there who knew their stuff.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...