Mt. Hood

ClimbNuB

I'm trying to get into mountain climbing. I'm a very experienced hiker, and have been doing many hikes (back country) over the past 14 years. I was wondering if Mt. Hood was a reasonable first summit for mountain climbing? From what I have read, it is a pretty easy climb with very little gear required (except for crampons). The south side seems to be very do-able and I wanted to attempt it this weekend. Please let me know what you think. And please give any advice for a newbie that is just starting to climb (places to go and things to do). Thank you.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Start early from T-Line. Try and be at the Hogsback before the sun crests over the rim. Go up the old chute since it's your first time. There'll be a good boot track to follow. Get back to the Hogsback before temps start warming. Prepare for a long, hot slog back to the car.

Prepare for a long, hot slog back to the car

...by using skis!

If you have a backcountry rig- use it. If you have alpine gear, it's almost worth carrying as high as you can tolerate.

If not, bring something to slide on if you're comfortable with your arresting skills. You'll be glad you did.