Skiing Cascade Volcanoes

EastCoastSkier

Hey NW climbers/skiers. My buddy and I are in town from new england for the next few days, hoping to climb to and ski from the summit of some mountains around Portland. Anyone on this website that can hook us up with some info?

A) whats the best climb/ski route on st helens? anything special we should know about that?

B) south spur the best way to go for skiing mt adams? what should we know with this route?

C) on mt hood: cooper spur vs sunshine vs southside?

Thanks so much for any info, we certainly appreciate it. Hope to meet some of you out there.

-Andy

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd cross post your request over on TAY:

www.turns-all-year.com

There are recent TRs from Adams and Hood that should help over on that site, as well as some info on road conditions and approach options.

For my money, I think I'd start with Adams first. The S Spur/S Side is a great choice. The SW chutes are prime ski lines, though you have to be ready to traverse back to the TH and deal with some navigation issues.

S Side of Mt Hood is pretty straightforward too, though there's more objective hazard right at the top (think tons of rime ice, then volcanic choss - no idea if the ice has come down yet). An early start will matter a bit more vs. Adams (though that's certainly a good call there too...).

One last note - the weather has been pretty uncooperative lately. The forecast I just read has FLs at about 6k during the middle of the week. So keep a close eye on the forecast and try to be flexible. Partly sunny in Portland can still mean full conditions on top of Hood. If you end up in the weather, be ready to make your own call on snow stability and/or to deal with some serious navigation issues. Having a sport rack or mountain bike along can be a good equipment choice on days like that!

Have a great ski!