Climber falls at RB

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope this turns out alright.

Don't know the circumstances or details of this particular accident, but folks new to Rocky Butte should understand it's one of the most dangerous climbing areas imaginable (or at least that I've ever encountered) with respect to being unroped at the top of the cliffs. It's slick as snot up there even on a sunny days, if it has rained in recent days. Be exceedingly cautious when manuvering around the tops of those cliffs and under no circumstances should you underestimate the 'slip-and-slide' factor out there.

Edit: Throw ratty extra ropes in your car for trips to RB and tie-in off a tree if you have even the slightest doubts about navigating near an edge out there to set up a TR.

Yup Silver Bullet was the scene - warm and dry as a bone in PDX today and Fandango still has water oozing out of it.

Yesterdays news to reiterate JH's point:

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/Rangers-warn-of-very-slippery-hiking-trails-96976929.html

"by KGW Staff

kgw.com

Posted on June 23, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Updated yesterday at 8:51 AM

HOOD RIVER, Ore. -- The unusually wet Spring has park rangers throughout the Northwest reminding hikers to be extra careful.

Rangers have been warning people that the rain has made trails very slippery and drop-offs can crumble under their feet.

Hikers were warned to never stray from marked trails.

A teen hiker fell and died earlier this week along a popular trail called Angel’s Rest. Hiker Dararath Thang said the death was a sobering reminder about the power of Mother Nature.

“Once you're up here, do not go to the edge, try to stay ten to 15 feet back because sometimes a big gust of wind will come out and hit you hard, or you never know, there could be loose rocks. It's really high up,” Thang said.

Park rangers said that most trails were designed to keep people away from the edge while maximizing the views."

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know how this resolved for the climber?...

Also, anyone know if this has anything to do with PP&R recently posting signs up top (at the 'fortress'): "Please do not rock climb or rappel on these premises"?...or any other reason. I called the number given on the signs, left a message, and didn't hear anything back.

Also, anyone know if this has anything to do with PP&R recently posting signs up top (at the 'fortress'): "Please do not rock climb or rappel on these premises"?...or any other reason. I called the number given on the signs, left a message, and didn't hear anything back.

WTF? One of the few things that draw business to our area is the outdoors and our acceptance and enjoyment of all those things. Kayaking, trail running and biking, and climbing. If the city is closing the butte to climbing, even if it's just the top: that sends a clear signal to companies who are thinking of relocating here. The message is: Move to Salt Lake City instead.

actually Ogden is the new sports center of Utah Bill. With the completely rebuilt awesome resort from the Olympics of Snow Basin nearby, and the downtown center that showcases a climbing gym as the entrance to the mall, along with a Flowrider Surf Park and a outdoors ice climbing venue, the place is amazing and totally up and coming. A number of big sports companies have already relocated there. The area also hosts a extensive via ferratta area for non technical climbers, and there is a guidebook to the surrounding rock climbing areas. Move to Ogden, not to Salt Lake.

actually Ogden is the new sports center of Utah Bill. With the completely rebuilt awesome resort from the Olympics of Snow Basin nearby, and the downtown center that showcases a climbing gym as the entrance to the mall, along with a Flowrider Surf Park and a outdoors ice climbing venue, the place is amazing and totally up and coming. A number of big sports companies have already relocated there. The area also hosts a extensive via ferratta area for non technical climbers, and there is a guidebook to the surrounding rock climbing areas. Move to Ogden, not to Salt Lake.
I agree w/Steve... Ogden is my home town and has some great outdoor sport opportunities (aside from world class skiing). The town itself has been in a downward spiral for a few decades, so hopefully, this new approach at being the outdoor mecca will revive the area. I sure love the Wasatch back-drop on the east end of town and there are so many places to explore up there. That is where I fell in love with the mountains and that place will always hold a certain special spot in my heart. I was there a few years ago and was impressed with what they had gotten started at that time. Can't wait to get back and see what else is new.

Hoping for the best on the RB fall victim, too...

Hope this turns out alright.

Don't know the circumstances or details of this particular accident, but folks new to Rocky Butte should understand it's one of the most dangerous climbing areas imaginable (or at least that I've ever encountered) with respect to being unroped at the top of the cliffs. It's slick as snot up there even on a sunny days, if it has rained in recent days. Be exceedingly cautious when manuvering around the tops of those cliffs and under no circumstances should you underestimate the 'slip-and-slide' factor out there.or anywher e4 that matter:almost slipped on the dry needles/leaves(very slippery indeed Watson) at beacon once upon a time

Edit: Throw ratty extra ropes in your car for trips to RB and tie-in off a tree if you have even the slightest doubts about navigating near an edge out there to set up a TR.

or anywher e4 that matter:almost slipped on the dry needles/leaves(very slippery indeed Watson) at beacon once upon a time Edited by oldlarry

• 2 weeks later...

Not joking...I posted something on ClimbAxe's facebook site too, and no one seemed to have noticed the signs there either...but I know somebody did. They were just laminated printouts, taped with duct tape to concrete in fiver or six places, at the top top, on the grassy tier, and at the base on one of the No Parking signs. They were hard to miss.

I know somebody else had seen them because they'd all either disappeared or been pulled off and left on the ground (2) when I went back the next week. The number on the signs, "for more information," did go to a PP&R person's voicemail, but I never did get a call back.

I think it probably had more to do with the capstone that had been trundled (I really don't think this could have happened from a top rope) near the northwest corner than with the accident, since one of the signs was right where it lay, but the timing was right. When I posted here was about two weeks after I'd first seen the signs.