Waterproofing La Sportiva Nepal Evos

Bigtree

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

La Sportiva recommends Nikwax Aqueous Wax Leather Waterproofing for treating their leather boots, including those with Gore-Tex liner. I've used it on my Nepal Evo GTX's, and every other rough-out leather boot I've owned, without issue.

Edited by iceclimber

I have had a pair of the Khumbu GTX for a few years now and only have to treat the boots once a season with the wax. I do also treat them with the Aqueous between. Below is from La Sportiva's website:

What should I use to treat my new boots?

* For a general purpose waterproofing product, we have found that Nikwax Aqueous Wax Leather Waterproofing performs the best.

* Re-apply this product as necessary or after every use in severe conditions.

* We also recommend that you occasionally condition the leather Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather.

* It is possible to use petroleum-based products too much, so apply only occasionally.

* A seam sealer will also help to keep water out

* Please note these products may darken the color of the leather

• 2 weeks later...

I have the older non-goretex Nepal Extremes but have use the above mentioned wax stuff for years with no problems. I do try to work it in to the seams and stitches pretty well, but haven't used a real "seam sealer" for it.

The wax stuff may impair the breathability a bit but I haven't noticed it that much, my feet still generally stay much drier than in my impermeable double boot lines, so it must be breathing a little bit.

On my leather and fabric hiking boots I use a combination of wax on the leather parts and the aquaseal fabric stuff on the fabric bits (get the fabric wet first) and it seems to work ok. Ultimately no amount of goretex and sealer will keep any breathable boot totally dry after a day in really wet snow, at least in my experience. Those things help stave it off though.