[TR] Colfax Peak - South Couloir Ski Descent 6/18/2010

Gaston

Trip: Colfax Peak - South Couloir Ski Descent

Date: 6/18/2010

Trip Report:

On Friday I skied the skied the south couloir of Colfax with Erin Smart. We skied more or less from the car, which we were able to park a few hundred feet short of the trailhead. Snow cover is pretty continuous all the way to the glacier, which in turn is very well-covered. We stomped a track through isothermal snow until finally reaching a supportive crust around 6,500'. From there the crust improved in thickness, and I think good corn skiing should be abundant for a good while. The traverse over to the Colfax-Baker col was straightforward.

We climbed the E ridge of Colfax and waited for the sun to hit the couloir. Unfortunately, a cold SE wind kept conditions very firm in the upper portion of the couloir.Judging by the funky, sun-warmed breakable that we found near the exit, we made a good choice to ski it when we did. Waiting longer (likely in vain) for the upper section to soften would have resulted in scary conditions down low. On the descent we managed to avoid the worst of the mush by skiing down Railroad Grade just below the crest on the E side, then dropping into the drainage when the trees became too thick.

This is a beautiful line, but I can't recommend it in present conditions.

Approach Notes:

See above.

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Awesome Gaston! That looks like a really fun route.

The day was so nice I ended up skiing the western lobe of the Coleman Headwall yesterday. Didn't expect such good weather! Ha. I also had someone take (steal?) my shoes from where I skinned from on the trail!!!

Edited by AllYouCanEat