Super bestest topic ever dudes...read me

mikeadam

It's not even July and all I can think is...ICE CLIMBING FUCKING RULES! Is it winter yet?

Does anybody else feel like this? Does anybody else wanna hang up those little fairy rock shoes and get some big spiky shit on your plastic boots and some serious medieval looking axes and a little puny does you no good (barely) laugh of a helmet (anyone know where I can get an authentic Kaiser Wilhelm WWI trench warfare helmet) and then just commence to wail away like siege warriors on some surreal ice castle somewhere?

JIVE VERSION----------------So you can understand me YO!

It's not even July and all ah' can dink is...ICE CLIMBING FUCKING RULES. Right On! Is it winta' yet?

Does anybody else feel likes dis? Does anybody else wanna hang down dose little fairy rock kickers and git some big-ass spiky shit on yo' plastic boots and some serious medieval lookin' axes and some little puny duz ya' no baaaad (barely) laugh uh a helmet (anyone know where ah' can git an audentic Kaisa' Wilhelm WWI trench warfare helmet) and den plum commence t'wail away likes siege warrio's on some surreal ice castle somewhere?

Mike

[This message has been edited by mikeadam (edited 06-24-2001).]

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mikeadam:

The sap is up in most species of trees right now and dry tooling is good. I got on a big Cedar last weekend and had to watch it to not overdrive my tools and spend the next 3 or 4 minutes prying them out. I know it's not the same, but if you can get a rope over a big branch and a belayer you could satisfy the urge. If you don't spend too much time in one place I doubt it really damages the tree beyond recovery.

Yes Caveman I have several good, big dry tooling trees on my property. You are welcome to try them out anytime.

Mikeadam you should really ask someone who has actually climbed on ice. I just bought my first tools recently and was anxious as hell to try them out and remembered a photo in last years BD catolouge of someone dry tooling on a pier in alaska. I had removed most of the branches up to 30' a few years ago and it was clear sailing even with some small features to hook on.

Bronco

I can't really condone what your doing to your live tree, but you could limb the tree up to 60' top it and install an eye bolt at the top. That would be better all around for climbing; plus you would have constantly changing conditions as the tree decayed.

AlpineK:

That is an excellent suggestion!

I gave it some thought and decided that if Caveman and I tear up all of my trees, when I go to sell the farm and the potential buyer walks around and says "why the hell are all of your trees leaking pitch and dying?" Then my wife gives me THE look and I am left by myself with a forest of dead trees filled with broken picks so they arent even good for lumber.........

Now I must get some schmidt to lure a tree topper over here! You know anyone who might be interested?

Its pretty funny that Washington Ice climbers spend most of their time climbing trees.

Hey, mikey...

Mabye you should trade in those plastics for some fairy leather boots, get rid of the WWII helmet, and treat the Ice with respect. Try to use some of those fairy rock climbing techniques to preserve the Ice Castle for the next guy. "Take only photo's, leave only footprints" doesn't imply bashing the shit out of the Ice like some midevil warrior. I don't want to climb your footprints. Happy Ice dreams, I share your passion.

Lambone:

What other stuff should we climb? Just dry tool at the crags? Climb styrofoam at Cascade Crags? If you are just cranky from not sinking a tool (thunk!) in a while you are welcome to c'mon over. You guys from Montana are ok with me, just stay away from my goat! :P

Actually Lambbone, its not just Washington ice climbers that spend most of their time climbing trees. the same is true of washington mountaineers and rock climbers too! ever take a close look at mount index? ever climb one of those routes? 25 pitches of tree climbing with the odd rock move...

That is an excellent question - what is the best piton to place in a tree?

On the NW Passage at Squamish the Beckey beta goes something like (blah blah) "... climb difficult cracks for fifty feet to the great One-way Tree (A4). Pitch nine: nail up tree for thirty feet to rope throw..." - I always wondered what type of pins you take for that tree confused.gif and if you are nailing a crack in the tree or just pounding angles straight into the bark shocked.gif

[This message has been edited by Dru (edited 06-26-2001).]

Wow, I am surprised to see some restraint, last time we talked about this you were all about burnin down before gettin on lead. Don't let a little peak like Index stop ya!

As for Marley, I was just kiddin'. Rage or Janes Addiction gets me jazzed to get roudy.

But seriously, do'nt you think there would be less chance for rockfall when things are frozen up in winter?

I respect all you ice climbers, but what really floats my boat is ripping it up in the pow down some steep narrow couloir. Dam do I really have to wait 6 months. frown.gif

I know I can still hike and find some lame ass slope with giant suncups, but it's not the same. If we had had a decent winter I would still be shreading, but now I just have to wait and hope.

George W and his lame ass attitude about global warming has me down too. I want a global ice age!! I want giant glaciers rolling down I-5. Lets hear it for winter!!!

Dude, you are absolutely correct. I am also eagerly awaiting some powder face shots. I'm not sure what's more enticing. Looking down something steep or looking up at something steep and wondering just how the hell you're ever going to get up/down it.

I'd have to say that skiing and ski mountaineering in general are more exciting that ice climbing, but ice climbing is pretty surreal in itself. Just apples and oranges I suppose.

Mike