SR Monkey face view points

fettster

It's been quite a while since I've been to Smith Rock. Can someone tell me if Monkey face is visible on the drive in, or do you have to hike to see it? I'd like to take my parents to the park, but with my dad's knee am not sure how much hiking we can do. Anyways, mostly just curious if we'd be able to see it.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can see it on the drive in to the park, but not from in the park itself since it's on the opposite side of the formation from the parking lot. Depending how bad the knee is, the flat trail along the river will give you a good view as well once you round the corner of the Smith Rock Group. Other than the drop to the river from the parking lots it's flat, wide, and well graded and could probably be traveled by wheel chair.

I think you could probably find the back road that leads to the Monkey Face side and accesses those big houses over there too and get good views.

Google Maps/mapquest Eby ave, it can be on the way in and is directly across from the Monkey (binocs will help for close up viewing if climbers are on it). It's what you want as it's an awesome viewpoint for your dad and he won't have to take more than about 3 steps from the car if you just pull over on a wide spot on the road.

Have a good trip!