Aluminum Crampons

kevino

Looking for some current feedback...want to pick up a pair of aluminum crampons and will be in the Seattle area tomorrow so I called our local retailers and found that they have in stock the

Grivel Air Tech Light (595 g), Camp XCL 490 (605 g) and BD Neve (585g). I will be using the universal binding system so I can use them with approach shoes. Looking for feedback on these models...Thanks.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the Grivel Air Tech Light and like them for appproaches, mellow glacier slogs, and ski mountaineering. They fit well on everything from approach shoes to ski boots. The one complaint I have is that the bottom points are a bit short so in some circumstances they feel a bit sketchy (e.g. thin layer of snow over ice).

I have always been happy with my CAMPs in many different types of snow and they have decent front points. I have also been impressed with the Grivels that friends have used, and I kind of like their anti-bot plates better. I had to make my own for my CAMPs but they may come with some now??? My CAMPs fit on my low top approach shoes and my giant double boots no problem.

I have some Trango aluminum crampons, and have been happy with them for the snow only non-technical stuff. I got them with rubber anti-bots that work just fine. That said, I would tend to go with the Grivel's as probably the better all around aluminum crampon in your field. I have the steel Air Techs and love how they perform for what I climb and if I had it to do over again, would have purchased the Air Tech Lights. Hope this helps...Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's input. In response to jmace, I'm not sure why I listed the weight at 605g. Anyway, I found a good deal on the CAMP's and pulled the trigger. Grivel was my top choice but i couldn't justify paying $50 more than the deal I got on the CAMPs.

Of the above mentioned crampons, which fit large feet the best. Too often crampons will not fit well on boots over US size 11. My size is 11.5. I usually have to buy long plates for steel crampons so they will fit.

I'm size 11.5 and have the Grivel Air Tech and they fit both my approach shoes (Lowa lowcut trail shoes) and my mountaineering boots (La Sportiva Makalu) but they are either maxed out or one notch less than maxed out. It is possible that some boots or approach shoes of the same size could have a larger outer dimension so that they might not fit, but they do work for me and I have been happy with them.

• 2 weeks later...