Lubricating cams

rocketparrotlet

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the best way to lubricate them? I've seen conflicting opinions on the Internet.

-Mark

If it's just a squeek, I wouldn't bother doing anything with them. I'm a fan of having no lubrication on cams. Certainly some are better than others, but even the lubricants recommended for cams trap dirt (with the exception of short lived graphite powder). If you decide to de-gunk your cams, try to keep the cutting agent off of the cam slings.

Chad

If it's just a squeek I wouldn't worry about it. That said

I've had good luck with the following process for cleaning /

lubricating cams:

1. Take a small pot of boiling water with a touch of dish soap in it. Immerse just the cam head into it and retract / extend the cam a bunch of times, take it out and scrub it a bit with a tootbrush, and repeat until you're happy the action is good and it's clean.

2. Lubricate lightly with a Bicycle chain type lubricant (I think I used White Lightning?), though graphite powder would probably be great too.

I've heard that WD-40 or other similar lubricant can actually collect/attract extra dirt, and I don't think i'd want them on the slings. White Lightening is wax based I think?

YMMV