Rock Hippy

pope

I've got to say, the only thing more annoying to me than a sport climber is your average GRATEFUL DEAD-FOLLOWIN', BUS-RIDIN', WHALE-SAVIN', SOY-CURD-SUCKIN', W.T.O.-PROTESTIN', LONG-HAIRED, WANNA-BE-LOGICIAN-TYPE ROCK HIPPY. I think WTO taught us that you're just a bunch of little A-pipes, about as annoying as your average teenaged hubcap jacker. Go smoke your peace pipe once more, and when you're done, shove it some place dark and smelly.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got me a real story 'bout a real rock-hippy. A number of years ago, I was teachin' a rock climbing class of nice young college students over at the Peshastin Pinnicles. We were on Orchard Rock on that big ledge above the slabby bit at the base of "C" crack. No fixed bolts nearby then, so I had a bunch of junk; hex´s whatever rigged with slings and such. From our elevated viewpoint, we noticed off in the distance, a long-haired, bearded Bohemian running through the apple orchard in nothing more than a tattered pair of baggy shorts, tennis shoes and a chalk bag. Within moments, he had scrambled up to our position, already crowded with about 7 people, did a few mimes, and proceeded to attempt to solo "C" crack, a difficult, anatomically correct, somewhat committing, short overhanging route. I believe the intent was that we were to be somehow impressed. He made a few layback moves and about ten feet off the deck, he greased off (must have touched his hair) and tried to land on both feet. Well, his feet got caught in our little network of anchor slings and we heard a thump not unlike that of a coconut thrown against a brick wall. The hippy had smacked his head hard, really hard. He gave us an embarassed look (an embarassed hippy? that IS rare!) jumped over the edge, and we saw him running again through the orchard from which he began, to the audible chuckling of many of the students. And he never said a word the whole time. What's the lesson here? Even hippies know how to grandstand...and growing your hair long doesn't make you a better climber (and it sure can confuse the rest of us when we're walkin behind you!)

While we're on the topic...Hey you WTO protester wannabe's who wake up every morning disappointed that you weren't alive earlier enough to protest a "real war" in the '60's...take a tip from Dwayner: "Hell no, we won't go" is a Vietnam-era anti-draft chant. Even though you heard it on a documentary about the '60's in your high school civics class, it is not relevant to protesting cheese imports and saving whales. Big clue: there is no draft...come up with your own clever slogans and your own music...and by the way..."Hey, hey, ho, ho [fill in the blank] has got to go" is a bloody bore!! Unless of course you apply to the rare appropriate venue: "Hey, hey, ho, ho, Dwayner needs some Mickey's Big Mouth!!"

Boy, when you vote Republican, you sure are endorsing a fine group of people. You've got the blundering commander in chief, "W", the kind of guy to suck down six beers and get behind the wheel (my wife and her mother were hit by a drunk within a year of W's arrest; her mother didn't make it). What a piece of work he is, promising on a morning television show that he'd defend Taiwan from Chinese attack, then spending the rest of the week backing out of his statement. Yeah, he's the guy who states, "I don't care where we get the oil, we just need the oil!" regarding California's current energy crisis and solution of drilling in pristine Arctic areas.

You like these guys? How 'bout Newt Gingrich, serving his wife divorce papers while she was in bed with cancer? How 'bout W's SAT score? I think WSU rejects applicants with higher scores than W's!

Hey Caveman:

The beauty of Grizzly Huntin is you just go for a "hike" and happen to have your bow and some arrows tipped with 180 grain broadheads. Kill you a bar' and claim self defense. No seasons or permits to concern yourself with. "Mr. Warden - that mofo Griz was chargin' my last schmit and I had to do sumthin', good thang ah had muh trusty bow"

yah, I'm sharpening my broadheads as we speak.

mista pope,

i am indorsing no political party, i just find that the bleeding heart we want to take care of everyone who can fucking whine and make some pathetic excuse why they can't work and need public aid group kinda makes me sick. sure 'w' confused.gif ain't near the brightest light bulb in the chandalier, if he is even in the chandalier. but seriously all beauracacy sucks ass!

i will publicly annouce the creation of the new political party next week.....stay tuned.....

[This message has been edited by erik (edited 06-21-2001).]

Yes, I lived and loved in the waning days of the cold war. I watched Red Dawn, Rambo and all that "POW revival kick Vietnam's ass" propaganda. I ate it up, I loved it, I wanted to go to foreign countries meet interesting people experience foreign cultures and then kill them. I mean hey, wasn't that what the 80's and early 90's were all about? The new imperialism manifest destiny? Rebranding our mark on the world?

As a founding member of the Reagan Youth Brigade I just want to say this about Democrats and Hippies in general. And I quote...

"If I could fly high above the world. Would I see a bunch of living dots spell the word stupidity?" ~BR

Oh yeah and I climb sometimes and don't place bolts so this is not entirely unrelated to climbing????? confused.gif

http://alpinelite.com

[This message has been edited by mikeadam (edited 06-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by mikeadam (edited 06-21-2001).]

One might argue that America's foreign policy during the 80's and 90's (and probably continuing into this decade) was essentially an example of the inherent contradictions of Wilsonian idealism. Since roughly the first world war, America has attempted to promote peace and stability in the world (contemporary anti-WTO types would say this is based on a desire to propagate the neoliberal paradigm, i.e. exploit markets), while on the other hand expressing a desire to promote our ideals of self-rule and liberal democracy. Unfortunately these ideas do not go hand in hand, and more often than not contradict eachother. Examples would be Reagan selling arms to the Contras to sustain a balance of power in South America, and support of Iraq against Iran in order to maintain a BOP in the mideast. And of course, all of the other instances where America had authoritarian puppet regimes all over the world.

Oops, this doesn't have anything to do with climbing.

[This message has been edited by specialed (edited 06-21-2001).]

Brothers in spray....I was a political science/international relations major as an undergraduate and switched fields in graduate school to get away from this sort of go-nowhere polemical sprayathon. Yah, Pope started it with the hippy thing (and I tried to redirect it toward climbing hippies in particular but then ended up popping off about those clueless WTO pseudo-protestors, so I suppose I contributed to the problem. I've had enough. Especially after it provoked Marx, Trotsky and historical and dialectical materialism. By the way, I´ve read the above (plus Mao, etc.) and found them to be boorish (and boring), limited in perspective and naive in their attempts to explain history in the past, present and future. In my opinion, such thinking has inspired more death and mayhem in this world than even capitalism which is guilty of its own share. Now see....ya gotta me started again!!!....How about directing this post to the topic we all know and love....CLIMBING HIPPIES....Politics and religion? save the topic for when I get the US Congress to pass a nationwide anti-bolting bill.

love, Dwayner

P.S. Nixon in 2004!!! (he still alive?)

Actually democrat women are the best. They do all the bad stuff and act all stuck up about it like it never really happened. Or make up excuses about it even if they really liked it. Kind of gets me riled in the loins...

Does anyone have the feeling Donna Top Step is actually Lynn Hill?

The best thing about grizzly hunting is sometimes the grizzly gets the ugly 2 legged critter, kinda evens things out a little bit.

I must say, I'm a little surprised at all this hippy bashin'. Ain't they your ganja smokin' brethren?

Shaved his legs and the he was a she. If I were Donna....I'd date myself.

I used to chase hippy girls, and let me tell you, their furry little armpits tend to harbor a powerfully attractive feminine odor that would put this boy in a very vulnerable position. Is what we'd do is, we'd drive up to some hippy neighborhood, like Fairhaven in Bellingham, or down to Fremont, and then we'd sit in my friends bus with a couple of boxes of granola. We'd be wearing lots of beads and shit, pony-tail wigs, whatever. Anyway, as much as anything, the granola seemed to lure them in better than all our "props" and marijuana music. Of course, we lured our share of squirrels.

I'm not sure what all those WTO protestors are riled up about. What's good for transnational corporations is good for America! Global corporate rule would be totally way more efficient and less bothersome than the slow, messy process rife with compromise and dialogue otherwise known as democracy. Think about it: things would be so much simpler and easier if there were just one corporation for each kind of stuff. Walmart for retail stuff, McDonalds for food, the GAP for clothes, CNN/AOL/Time Warner for information and culture, Microsoft for software and REI for outdoor gear and climbing stuff. Once we eliminate contrived and unnecessary national barriers for money, goods, services, regulations and labor, everything will operate way more efficiently and profitably which will benefit everyone! This rising tide will lift all boats!

~Uncle Tricky

Why has this thread become a serious political discussion mad.gif I want to make fun of hippy rock climbers even if I do support some hippy stuff.

Crazyjz and I had a run in with a hippy rock climber in the Index parking lot a couple years ago. First some background.

I'm an aborist which means I'm either nice to trees or I'm killing them. I don't promote slaughter for no reason, but I am a capitalist. As an arborist I often have tools of the trade in my pickup. On the day in question I had a small ax in the bed of my pickup.

Crazyjz and I pulled into the parking lot at Index one morning. While we were getting set to go I started talking to this young hippy guy hanging in the parking lot. Crazyjz found my ax and started wandering around the parking lot. Crazyjz used to be in the Boy Scouts and so like the good Boy Scout he is he found himself a 6" alder on the edge of the parking lot and started chopping it down. My new hippy friend saw him and started yelling, "Hey that's a living thing." I told him it was just a small alder and just let Crazyjz have fun. He told me, "I can't believe he's your friend." I told him that I had known Crazyjz for a long time and then I shifted into professional mode and explained that Crazyjz was actually improving the stand of alder trees by removing one of the weaker ones. The hippy guy didn't like my explanation, so I told him I had cut down thousands of trees for money. He told me that we were both assholes and stormed off. We spent the rest of the day laughing at him.