[TR] Enchantment's Tour - Cannon and Prusik 6/8/2010

scottgg

Trip: Enchantment's Tour - Cannon and Prusik

Date: 6/8/2010

Trip Report:

Dang I miss this place! Just got back to the East Coast after spending 10 days in Washington visiting friends, eating good food, and drinking large quantities of coffee. We took full advantage of the two sunny days during our brief visit, and were reminded why this is the best part of the country. Our second sunny day, we took my dad's boat out in the Puget Sound, driving from Edmonds to Langley for breakfast and admiring the beautiful peaks rising above the low lands. Then Becky and I climbed at Index for a few hours in the afternoon before getting together with friends for a bbq. A perfect day in the PNW!

The other sunny day was Tuesday, July 8th. My sister Becky and I decided a trip to the Enchantments was in order, with Prusik Peak being the goal. But how to approach? I’ve always preferred hiking in via Asguard Pass because of the better scenery, though this time I wanted to try something new.

View_of_Cannon.jpg

A quick glance over the USGS map showed that approaching from Cannon Mountain may be feasible, and Google confirmed this. Thus the plan was to hike up Cannon Mountain via the North Gully, descend across the Druid Plateau to Prusik Pass, climb the West Ridge of Prusik, hike up through the still frozen Enchantment Lakes, down Asguard Pass and back to the trailhead. Aside from some occasional soft snow (we didn’t bring snowshoes or skis), thing went really well. We only ran into one other party the whole day, a group of 5 climbing Prusik.

Shortly after heading uphill past the old road washout

IMG_3746.JPG

Halfway up the North Gully

IMG_3749.JPG

View from near the top of the gully

IMG_3752.JPG

Same view on Google Earth

cannon2.jpg

Heading up gully above Coney Lake

IMG_3760.JPG

Summit o' Cannon

IMG_3785.JPG

West Ridge of Prusik

IMG_3800.JPG

IMG_3822.JPG

Heading Home

IMG_3823.JPG

Becky did an awesome job on this tour: from leading her first trad pitch to breaking trail though soft snow. I was starting to boink on the way to Prusik Pass, and Beck had no problem taking the lead up the sun-cooked snow.

This was a fun early-season route up Cannon, and a very cool way to access the Enchantments. We weren’t trying to move particularly fast, so here is what you might encounter in terms of times:

1:00 to climb the North Gully

6:45 from trailhead to the top of Cannon (8,638’)

1:15 from the top of Cannon to Prusik Pass

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic