Fossil Rock?

Kimmo

so i tried to find fossil rock about a year ago with no luck. couldn't find a guide-book either. we're gonna find ourselves in the vicinity and wanted to take another look. specifically looking for the harder sport climbs-heard rumors about 5.12's and 5.13's?

when i tried to find it last year, i walked out the logging road, took a right after about a mile or two, road wound up and around, and finally saw a big cliff, but was hopelessly over-grown and inaccessible. no idea if i was in the right area.

info appreciated!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you may have been in the right place is the sad truth. i went out there a year or so ago. I remember a lot of loose rock and rusted bolts. I got to one bolt that wasn't even a full circle and was coming out of the rock part way. I don't mean to bag on anyone's local crag, but I just wouldn't recommend it. Def. not worth the long approach. The view from the top was nice though. There is info on it in the Washington Falcon guide.

Good luck.

Try contacting Lucky or Drederek on this site for more specific info. I've only been out there three times or so, had a great time each visit. I think Jens has been out recently too. I know the approach well enough to follow it, but I suspect if I were to describe it I would omit some turn and not really do you any favors. There is a big boulder on the foot trail once you leave the logging road terminus that has a big eye bolt glued in for locking your bike, that's a definite landmark. There is poison oak in the area, so keep an eye out for it.

I don't know about any 13's though, those might be in the area that's been closed.

Fossil_02.jpg